Call toll free
4.62/5
Based on 1,263 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Philips Lifeline is the leading medical alert service in the U.S.. The Philips Lifeline medical alert service gives you fast, easy access to a trained response associate to request the help you want - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our AutoAlert fall detection technology automatically calls for help if a fall is detected – even if you are unable to push the help button. Over 7 million Americans have counted on Philips Lifeline to feel safe at home or on the go.

Philips Lifeline Video
Philips Lifeline Gallery (6)
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

3210 Philips Lifeline Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 13, 2018

Joan previously had no caretaker and she was alone here in the house, and she fell down. She has Philips Lifeline now in case of emergencies and I'm satisfied with it. One time when I was here, she accidentally touched the button and then somebody answered. The response was very quick and the reps were courteous and kind.

Hello Clarita,

We're glad to hear that both you and Joan have found the security you need in the Philips Lifeline service. All the best Clarita, to you and Joan.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: July 13, 2018

My mother has Parkinson's and is a little unsteady on her feet that she started having some more frequent falls. I then researched several medical alert devices and Philips Lifeline seemed to be the best priced medical alert device and has the best services. At the time that I purchased it, she was at home alone a lot. It gave me more peace of mind knowing that if she fell, she had help if she needed it. It was easy to set up when we first got on service, and anytime I call with any questions, everybody at Philips is really helpful. Also, I got the fall protection in it, which is an added service, so that if she falls, it automatically goes off and it makes the Philips team call in. And if she doesn’t answer, then they'd know that they need to send somebody out so I like having that service.

She wears the Philips Lifeline like a necklace and puts it underneath her shirt. And although she’s short-waisted, the device is adjustable so she likes it where it's not so long, sitting around her tummy. My dealing with the Philips Lifeline team has been good and their response time is pretty well immediate, too. When the alarm went off quite a few times, they always called and let me know that my mom had a fall but they did not need to send an ambulance. They said that they've talked to her and she was okay and had gotten up. I like getting those notifications and that way I can follow up with her and make sure she really is okay. We've had Philips Lifeline for five years now and, all around, it’s a really good product. It's also comparable on their pricing and the service that we get with it. I’m happy with it.

Philips Lifeline response

Amanda, Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us in regard to your Mothers Philips Lifeline experience. We are so glad that you have added peace of mind, and that you are happy with the service. Please be well, and take care!

Original review: July 13, 2018

I looked into a medical alert device because of the extended range. It takes you outside and you just don’t have to be inside the house. I've had my Philips Lifeline for a couple of months now. I wear it around my neck and it's comfortable and I feel safer. I pressed it one time in church by mistake and it went off. It kind of zagged a little and the reps were fine when they answered.

Original review: July 13, 2018

Our daughter ordered Philips Lifeline for my husband and me. We had an illness, so she thought we ought to have that. We have had it for about nine months already. Testing the device in the past, their response came in after a couple of minutes. It is around my neck and then I just stick it in the top of my bra over to one side. My husband, on the other hand, hangs his on the cabinet door, and that is where it has been. He needs to take it with him, but he will not wear it around his neck. The wristband may be a better option for him.

Philips Lifeline response

Carol, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us in regard to the Philips Lifeline experience for you and your husband. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions or concerns about the service you both use. Our best to both of you, please be well, and take care!

Original review: July 12, 2018

I’ve had Philips Lifeline for a long time and I’m getting along with it fine. I’ve gotten a new one a couple of times when they said that the one I have is outdated and that I should have a new one. However, I don’t like the cord that the newest device hangs on as much as I did with the previous one. It irritates me when I wear it for a long time. I still have the boxes they came in so if something goes bad, I’d put it in there and send it in, and they'd send me a new one. With this device, I can reach the people that I want to. I have a couple of daughters in town and a son, and I can get ahold of them quite easily. I’m satisfied with it.

Hello Eleanor,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our service. We're glad you've found how easily accessible your family is when you need them through our service. Eleanor, if there are any other concerns you might have, please give Lifeline a call at 800-635-6156 to discuss them with one of our skilled agents, as well as what other wearing options we might have available to you. All the best Eleanor, and take care!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Original review: July 12, 2018

I had fallen and I didn’t break any bones, but I was so bruised up and sore, and I had to stay in rehab for about 20 days. When I was there, they had some literature and they gave them the information about Philips to my nephew and his wife. I live by myself so we decided that I needed a Lifeline. I’ve had it pretty good while now, so I’ve gotten used to it and I like it fine. I really feel safer than I did without it. As long as the lights stay on on the machine and I know it’s in working order, I just wear it and hardly ever think about it. I accidentally set it off one time, but they come on right quick and they wanted to know if I needed help. I would recommend it to anyone that needed to wear one. I’m very pleased with it.

Hello Rheumelle,

Thank you for commenting on the service. As an independent senior, we know that staying safe in your home is of great importance to you. We're glad you've chosen the Philips Lifeline emergency response service to help you in that effort. All the best Rheumelle, and do take care.

Original review: July 12, 2018

We've fallen before while going around and the kids were worried about us. They wanted us to get a Lifeline so that way, we could get through to somebody if we fell or had a medical problem. We chose Philips with the kids, checked it out, and decided that it was a good medical alert device. Since getting it, it has made us feel safer and given us more freedom in the house. We have not been so afraid of not having anybody around. We wear the button all the time around the house and outside it. It's comfortable and cloth-covered. There were times when we set it off by accident and Philips' team was right there. Overall, we're happy with the device and the service and it's nice to feel that we can depend on Philips. They have always responded.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I'm 90 years old and I used a different medical alert device before but my daughter decided that I needed to change. She got Philips Lifeline and started paying for it. With the medical alert device, I know I'm being looked after. I fell once and the machine came on and it kept talking for about an hour. The response was quite quick. They called my son and he came up. We thought he could disconnect it and it would quit. He went through quite a bit of talking before he found out that there was a little haywire somewhere along the way. They sent another part for him to put on, and he did which got the problem fixed.

Hello Mary,

I'm glad we were able to resolve the issue you were having with your equipment but also that you were able to get the help you needed. If you ever have an issue in the future, please don't hesitate to call our skilled customer service representatives at 800-635-6156.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I wear the device on my neck but once in a while, the button is tested whenever a 4-year-old or a 5-year-old comes here and sees the medical alert device and enjoys setting it off. Sometimes when I'm on the bed, I set it off as well and I don’t like that very well. But the Philips Lifeline team does a pretty good job in their response. And my interactions with them have been all right.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I like my Philips Lifeline device. I've had it for a long time now and it’s easy to wear, and I'm very satisfied with it.

Original review: July 11, 2018

I had fallen and my daughter said she was gonna get me a medical alert device. She brought me this Philips Lifeline device and I live alone so it helps. I fell here in the house one time when all my family was out of town and I used the device. I pushed the button and the ambulance and two guys were out here in no time. I wear the button around my neck and I like it but it bothers me that I bump it too much and Philips Lifeline would call in. But I got used to it.

Hello Peggy,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. We're glad to hear that Lifeline has been there for you when you've needed it, and has given you the peace of mind you require when your family is away. All the best Peggy, and take care.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I live alone and have medical problems. I fell down a few times, so I thought of getting some kind of help and Philips Lifeline seemed like the best thing to do. A couple of times, I have talked to the reps on the phone and I was impressed. They were very polite and when I pressed the button to be sure it's working okay, they were very nice. It's really good especially that I'm nervous about what's happening to me. I've used the call button once and the ambulance came right away. The button makes me feel more content and I'm not afraid to be by myself anymore. Plus, it fits in. I have the wrist thing and it doesn't bother. I forget that I have it which is good.

The price has gone up so much though and I'm not happy about that. It's now $40. All the time, I get things in the mail and see other companies on TV that do the same thing as Philips. I've thought about changing because the cost is a lot lower, but when I first got Philips, the cost was lower too. If I get something else and it's lower now, it'll probably get higher later so I don't have any plans to change.

Philips Lifeline response

Janice, Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your Philips Lifeline Service. We are glad having the button has given you added peace of mind being alone. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions you have about your account.. Please take care!

Original review: July 10, 2018

When my wife passed away, I was gonna be by myself. And I decided it was a good idea to get Philips Lifeline. I feel better since I've had Philips and my device is very comfortable. Overall, it’s been very satisfying.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. We at Lifeline are glad you've chosen our service as you move into this next phase of your life. All the best Robert. Take care.

Original review: July 10, 2018

I live alone and I'm up in years. I had the Philips Lifeline service before and then I was in the hospital in 2017 so my daughter-in-law canceled it. But when I got home, she re-took the device out. I got it right now and I wear it on my neck. I can push the button and get some help. The device went off when I was opening it up and I evidently pushed the side of it. And the response that I got from Lifeline was fine.

Hello Maryann,

Let me first say, welcome home! And we're glad to hear that you and your daughter made the decision reactivated the service, providing the peace of mind you both need, should you ever need to push your button. Please do take care Maryann, and all the best.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I feel safer having Philips Lifeline as I live alone and I’m getting older. Their team called me a few times because something was wrong. I also called them and they’ve always responded right away. Overall, I’m satisfied with my experience with Philips Lifeline.

Original review: July 9, 2018

My sister and my niece talked me into getting a medical alert device. They didn’t want me to be alone because they’re in Long Island, New York and I’m here in Pennsylvania. And after I had the other one that you could just do in the house, they wanted me to have the one that I wear around my neck. My Philips Lifeline device is good to have because I'll never know what's gonna happen.

Hello Pauline,

We're glad you've entrusted Lifeline to be there for you, should the unexpected happen, giving you and your family the reassurance you need as an independent senior. All the best Pauline, and be well.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Philips Lifeline has been doing fine. I got my Philips device as a safety measure, and I’m satisfied.

Hello Gloria,

Thank you for sharing your positive experiences with us. All the best, and take care.

Original review: July 8, 2018

I used Lifeline for a few months. I've fallen a few times and on April 28 I had a mini stroke. My insurance covers the cost of the Lifeline system so I thought that I would give it a try. The system was very easy to set up. My family was glad I had gotten it. One night I must've set off the alarm and they called me to make sure that I was alright. Then a month ago Lifeline sent an ambulance. My pendant never went off and I was in the shower so I couldn't hear them when they called. Now I'm being charged $400.00 for it. Last week the pendant went off again, I couldn't hear it because I was in the living room and the system is in my bedroom. Thankfully a gentleman called me due to the fall detection. I thanked him and I suggested that Philips get a pendant with a speaker in it. He said they had one.

I called Lifeline right away and asked I could upgrade my pendant. I was told that because I was on a government plan it was not covered. I offered to pay the difference in price. The agent told me that I couldn't do that. I asked why and all she would say was I was on a government plan. So I told her that I was going to cancel the service. I asked her to send me a return label. I couldn't believe that Lifeline would rather lose a customer than try to work with them. I would've given them no stars but I had to give them at least one star, which I don't feel they deserve.

Hi Cathy,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. Unfortunately some of our government supported plans are restrictive in the service options that are available to customers. I will have someone reach out to you directly to discuss further if you’d like.

Original review: July 8, 2018

If anybody should need a medical alert device, Get Philips Lifeline. I was passing out and so my daughter decided to get me a device. While she doesn't live with me, my son does. I fit my button and I got it around my neck. I can get help if I need it. The button is working, and it will let me know when it is going off the hook. I can put it on the hook and push the button and someone from the Lifeline team would say thank you.

Original review: July 8, 2018

My husband falls that was why we got the Philips Lifeline and he said to me, “If I have to get it, you better get it too.” I wasn’t gonna argue because I was afraid he wouldn’t get it. I’m a human being too and I can also fall so I’m fine with it. We’ve had a number of incidents with my husband. Lifeline called EMS and they had come. A couple of times they took him to the hospital or they just lifted him up off the floor. It was well done and I have no complaints. However, at first, we had trouble finding a place to plug the device in and we have that main thing in the living room. I wasn’t totally satisfied with that because I kinda felt that they were sort of leaving me to drift in the sea. The guy that came did it all very fast and he was out the door too fast. I said, “Will it work in the back?” He said, “Yeah.” But I’m still not sure if it covers me when I’m down in the back room or the back bathroom. Other than that I would recommend Lifeline.

Hello Joan,

Thank you for commenting on our service. We're glad you've chosen Philips Lifeline as the Personal Help Button for both you and your husband. Also, don't hesitate to test your button from other parts of your home to insure you're covered from the bathroom and back room you mentioned, when ever you like. If you'd like more information on testing the range of the button, please don't hesitate to call our customer service representatives at 800-635-6156. All the best Joan, and take care!

Original review: July 8, 2018

Day-to-day life gets worse 'cause old age settles in and I also have neuropathy. I can't get around as good. I have to use a walker and be careful. I live alone and I can fall anytime. But I go out with my daughters and I try to walk a lot and do my exercises. I'm doing okay for my age. I also got a medical alert device and Philips Lifeline is a very nice company to deal with. They've replaced my batteries a few times. One time, they even called me and let me know that the fall button wasn't working but they got a new one. They told me when I'd get it and I did. They've been very thorough and nice. I've also hit the button twice when I was taking it off and doing different things. I had a few calls in and all of the reps were very good and quick. I've enjoyed it and I've been very satisfied with Philips Lifeline.

Philips Lifeline response

Ethel, Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience.Thank you for letting us know you are enjoying your service and are satisfied. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Original review: July 7, 2018

My two daughters decided that I needed a Lifeline following the heart surgery that I had and it makes me feel like I'm a little bit safer than what I would have been without it since I'd have somebody to come here if I can't get up. My Lifeline is on a string, hanging around my neck and hangs down the front of me, just in case I need it. Although if I go into town or outside my immediate area, I had no use carrying it because it doesn't work. As long as I'm around the house, or a couple of hundred feet to the house, it'll work all right. My only problem with it is that it has gone off a couple of times by itself. It didn't last long. And then all of a sudden I got a call from the hospital, and a guy asked if I need help so I said, "No." Otherwise, we're satisfied with it. So I'd recommend it. People that need it should get it.

Original review: July 7, 2018

I live by myself and I fall a lot. I fear that if I fall, I need help somewhere. I've been using my Philips Lifeline for about two years now and wear my button around my neck. I've only had to use it once and they called me before I even hit the floor. I feel good about their responsiveness and I appreciate them for being around when I need them.

Philips Lifeline response

Della, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience. We are glad that you feel good having the service, we appreciate you as well. Please take care!

Original review: July 7, 2018

I fell in the beginning and since I’m older and I’m alone, it seemed like a good idea to have a medical alert device in case I fall. Someone in the family saw an ad for Philips LifeLine and mentioned it to me. I have been using the device for two years now. It's on a string and I wear it around my neck. I have used it twice when I fell and accessed it for help. The people came and it works fine if anything happens. Overall, I find Philips to be very dependable and I would recommend it.

Philips Lifeline response

Patricia, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience.Thank you for letting us know you would recommend us. Please take care!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I’ve had the Philips Lifeline for several years. I have it on my neck and the people at Philips call me every now and then asking if I called them up and I would say I didn't. Their reps were fine and friendly.

Philips Lifeline response

Mary, Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us in regard to your experience with our services. We are glad that you wear you button, thank you for being part of the Philips Lifeline Family for several years. Please be well, and take care

Original review: July 6, 2018

I like Philips Lifeline very well. I wear my device around my neck and it works well. I feel very comfortable with Philips Lifeline. Their response time is good, and I’d recommend them.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience Seward. We are so glad you are comfortable with your service and that you wear your button. We appreciate you letting us know that you would recommend the service as well. Please take care!

Original review: July 6, 2018

Wearing my Philips Lifeline device feels okay and all I do is hang it around my neck and it doesn’t get in my way any more than jewelry does. The Philips Lifeline is one's insurance against a fall.

Hello Marsha,

Thank you for commenting on our service. If you'd like more information about your service or our cancellation policies, please give Lifeline a call at 800-635-6156. All the best Marsha!

Original review: July 6, 2018

I’m very satisfied with my Philips Lifeline. I need an alert device given that I’m 90 years old, and in the last two years I’ve had a heart attack, a broken hip and a broken pelvis. I wear it on my neck and I feel safer having it. Here alone, if I’d fall, I have my cell phone but then if I’d hit my head and getting off that, it would go through on my Lifeline. And a month ago, as I was sitting on the edge of the bed, dressing, I had dropped the Lifeline on the carpet and I didn’t know that I had. The Philips Lifeline people called to see if I was alright and they were very nice.

They’ve also called me a couple of times even. I had mine on my nightstand one night and they called me to see if I was okay. Also, I needed to call them sometime ago to see if I could get it changed from my land phone to my cellphone, and at that time they couldn’t do it. I need to call them again about that. But they’re very good and I have recommended them to some of my friends.

Philips Lifeline response

Dora, Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us in regard to your Philips Lifeline experience. We love to hear that wear your button and feel safer having it. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions or concerns about your account. Thank you for recommending us as well, we really appreciate that. Please be well, and take care!

Original review: July 5, 2018

I have orthostatic hypertension so if get up too fast, I'll pass out. I saw Philips Lifeline on TV and I went ahead and tried it for myself. If I fall, they'll come right away and ask no questions. I've slept with my device on and it didn't go off. However, once, I was straightening up my nightstand and the device went off automatically. It scared me to death. I got a call and they told me that service is on the way but I told them that I pressed the wrong button. So they sent me a new necklace to wear around my neck and in the meantime, I have to send the old one back. The lady came out but I think I got the old one mixed with the new one, so I’m gonna have to call them and tell them that I have to test it to see if I kept the right one.

Original review: July 5, 2018

My mother is old and she's living by herself. And the biggest thing with getting a Philips Lifeline is that it added some peace of mind for her children. That we know that if she is alone, she can have access for help if she falls. The customer service reps have been helpful to us 'cause she has moved a couple of times. And each time she moved, we had to set up the equipment at her new residence. They have always walked us through and checked on it. They have been very supportive even when we do test every once in a while to see that she can hear them or they can hear her.

Other than that, she puts the necklace on when she gets up in the morning. She wears it in the house. In closing, the reps at Philips Lifeline have been responsive. They send out her new fobs. There's a time frame on them 'cause of the battery life and we always get those timely. We don't even realize that it's time for them. We would recommend it.

Hello Sabina,

Thank you so much for relaying your experiences with Lifeline. You're right, your pendants do notify us automatically when it's time for a replacement! We're glad too that you've had really positive experiences when interacting with our team of agents. All the best Sabina to you and your mother. Take care!

Philips Lifeline expert review by Shelley Webb

With more than 7 million subscribers and 40 years of experience, Philips Lifeline is an industry leader in monitored medical alert systems.

• They offer two-way communication: Technicians initiate contact when the help button is depressed, offering prompt assessment of the situation and dispatching help as needed.

• Pricing is affordable for most: The monthly subscription fee is one of the least expensive among medical alert systems at less than $30 per month.

• No phone is needed: Many systems require the use of a landline in order to call the operator. Lifeline does not need home phone service, making the system even more affordable.

• Unmonitored service is not available: Not every wearer needs the level of service offered by monitoring. An unmonitored option is typically less expensive and preferable for the recently retired.

• Best for: Seniors living alone, persons with newly diagnosed or severe epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb

Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Philips Lifeline Company Information