Call toll free
4.61/5
Based on 1,090 ratings submitted in the last year

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Philips Lifeline is the leading medical alert service in the U.S.. The Philips Lifeline medical alert service gives you fast, easy access to a trained response associate to request the help you want - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our AutoAlert fall detection technology automatically calls for help if a fall is detected – even if you are unable to push the help button. Over 7 million Americans have counted on Philips Lifeline to feel safe at home or on the go.

Philips Lifeline Video
Philips Lifeline Gallery (6)
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers appreciate Philips Lifeline's fast response time. Several customers purchased Philips Lifeline after a healthcare provider recommended it. Reviewers report that broken devices are replaced quickly, and they were notified when help was on the way.

PROS

• Notifies your emergency contact
  • Quick replacement for equipment malfunctions
  • Fast emergency response time
  • Friendly customer service representatives
  • Wearer can hear emergency operator through device

CONS

• Lanyard length is long for some wearers
  • Device sensitivity may produce false alarms

3510 Philips Lifeline Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I am a paying subscriber for approximately two years. I have discontinued my service due to their lack of response to my request to relocate my in-home unit and provide me with a wrist alert bracelet which would replace my pendant. I had a recent fall this weekend and due to a neck injury, I am unable to wear my pendant. (Shame on me) I contacted Phillips Lifeline to help me with my request, but I was informed because I subscribed with a local service league, I had to contact them for my service needs. I explained the local service league didn’t have the installer's schedule, therefore they could not help me with an appointment. Would Phillips help me instead? The answer was, no.

I pay my monthly fee faithfully for a service aide which didn’t help when I needed it. I find Phillips lack of response unacceptable. I am trying to remedy my situation before I fall again. To add insult to my issue they are charging me for the full month of December and my service is ending tomorrow December 5th. Buyer beware!!! Basically, medical alert systems are the same. Its “customer service“ I need to focus on.

Philips Lifeline response

Catherine, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your experience. We are very sorry for the frustration that you have been dealing with. We have forwarded this to our Program Services Department so someone can review this and follow up with you. Please take care.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I had the Lifeline in my vicinity, which I wore in the house and around the area. I wear it in the bathroom, the tub, at night and everything else. I have a lockbox and my daughter who lives 40 minutes away has a key. My neighbors have a key as well. I felt very safe after the fall with the shower and I recently got the one for outside. Living alone and being an older woman who has had falls, Philips Lifeline has been wonderful and I’ve been with them for three years.

They mailed me a new monitor, and when I fell on my backside in the kitchen, I didn’t hear the response from the Lifeline. I didn’t hurt myself, but if I didn’t have that fall, I wouldn’t know that apparently, it hasn't been working for three months. It was all taken care of and I am very pleased. I would recommend Philips Lifeline. In fact, when I was in rehab three years ago, I was like a salesperson and told people not to get Life Alert and that Lifeline has a sensor for when they fall.

Hello Rosary,

Thank you for your review. We're glad that Lifeline has given you the peace of mind you need as an independent senior. Thank you too for recommending our service to those you've come into contact with. Rosary, did you know you can test your button as often as you like, to insure it's functionality? As always, if you have any questions about the service, please don't hesitate to give Lifeline a call @ 800-635-6156

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Philips Lifeline has been very quick to respond whenever I use their medical alert device. It was given to me when I was very ill and I've used it once. However, their team has already contacted me twice to ask me if I was alright - one time was because I sat down quickly on the toilet and the other time was because I plopped myself down on the bed instead of sitting. So both of those times, the device signaled that I have fallen. That reassures me that Philips Lifeline has attention and that they are helpful.

Philips Lifeline response

Judith, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We are glad you are well and are happy with your service. We never mind accidental calls we are just happy that you are alright. Please continue to be well, and take care!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

Ethel is 91 years old and we got her a medical alert device from Philips. It's not too heavy, but I think it's sort of irritating to be around the neck continuously. We're satisfied with Philips. It's valuable especially to someone who's living alone.

Philips Lifeline response

Mary, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about Ethel's Philips Lifeline Service. We are glad that you are all satisfied with the service. Please do not hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any concerns. Our best to all of you, please take care!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

My mother had a cardiac arrest last year and was in ICU for a week. She was in the hospital when it happened. She needs a medical alert device. She had a device with Humana that had a GPS with it. Humana changed to Lifeline. It does not have a GPS in it. I tried to set it up but it needed a landline. I called customer service & found out it could not be used with a VOIP service. They sent a new one but it took 2 weeks to get here. I set it up. It wants to set up a trial call. We pressed the button and the message said that the call is in progress. My mother called on the phone and waited and finally left a message. It has been 90 minutes AND WE ARE STILL WAITING TO HEAR BACK! If she had another cardiac arrest she would be DEAD. Is this the waiting that would happen if she pressed her button? This is ridiculous!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I had a major surgery and I am not going to be as mobile as I had been. So, I felt it was time to do something. I got a medical alert device from Philips, and I feel more secure. It helps me. Sometimes, I set it off by mistake while taking it off to put on some clothing. But its function has been great. There were a couple of times when I've fallen and it didn't go off, but they say I have to push the button. However, if you fall and hit your head and you're unconscious for a while, you can't push the button. I never can determine whether it's going to read it or not. So, that would be a drawback. Still, I have recommended Philips.

Philips Lifeline response

Sandy, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We are glad you wear your button, and feel more secure having the service. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions or concerns. They can explain exactly how the Fall Detection on your button works. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I am not able to breathe and that led me to need a medical alert device. Wearing the Philips Lifeline doesn't bother me and the communication with the Philips team is very satisfactory. I'm satisfied in my experience with them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have fallen and I live by myself so my son said it was time to get a medical alert. There weren't that many brands out there though. Since I had heard good reports about Philips Lifeline, I used them. As a matter of fact, a friend and my sister have both gotten one as well. I wear my Philips Lifeline around my neck and it's very much comfortable. I've also felt very safe since having it. It went off one day when I was taking a shower and the response time was great. Evidently, I had bent over too fast and it went off. I didn’t hear the phone ringing and they got everybody here.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

My daughter went into Philips Lifeline and got a device for me five years ago. I wear it all the time, including every night when I go to bed. When I go out, I bring my telephone with me because the device stops at my house. I walk around the house and automatically just touch it, which goes off and rings.

Hello Eleanor,

Thank you for review. If you have any concerns about your lifeline service or questions, please give our team a call at 800-635-6156. All the best Eleanor, and take care.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

I have both been satisfied and dissatisfied with Philips Lifeline. My children said that I needed a medical alert device. I saw Philips Lifeline in a magazine and I decided that it was good for me. However, when I needed a replacement, I had to go without it for a long time before it was replaced. Then considerably later, it started blinking. I called and asked about it. Philips Lifeline said that my battery was full and it would have to be replaced and that they would send one within a week, but it was much more than a week. But when I couldn’t get up, I pressed the button and they answered, called for help and didn't take them very long to get to me.

Hello Olga,

Thank you for your review. Olga, our records indicate your new unit was received and programmed successfully in October. I'm glad to see we were able to get everything up and running for you. We apologize for the delay in delivery, but I would urge you in the future to give our skilled agents a call if this should ever arise again by calling 800-635-6156. All the best Olga, and take care.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

My mom experienced falling so we got her a medical alert device. At the time I ordered, the Philips Lifeline device was the only one that automatically detected a fall. Our interactions with the their team has been fine. My mom has used the device several times and their response time has been good. She wears the device around her neck and she feels better having it.

Hello Pat,

Thank you for your review. We're honored you've chosen Philips Lifeline to be your partner and give you the peace of mind you need in caring for your mother. We wish you and your family all the best. Take care.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I've had Philips for many years. My son-in-law got it for me 'cause he knew I was a senior, and he felt it would be something great for me to have. One time, I dropped it and that caused to have the voice on the line come on. The team at Philips treated me great. It's a wonderful thing to have 'cause living alone, it's nice to know I've got that comfort.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I fell and broke my shoulder so I got a medical alert device. I heard Philips Lifeline was good and I went through the senior center to get it. The device is very comfortable and I like that. Also, I don’t worry so much about falling. I’m still very careful, but I don’t worry as much because now I know I can get help instantly. Once in a while, I’ll be in the shower and the alarm would go off and they would ask if I'm okay and I’m just fine. So, I have no problem with them. They responded very quickly. I really like that they have the booster, so they can make themselves louder and they can make my voice louder to them. So, we’re able to communicate. Philips Lifeline has a very fast response and the people who respond are very caring and very patient. The only thing I would like is for it to be able for me to go anywhere with it and still use it. I understand there is an upgrade, but I have a very cheap one that I am using now.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

The doctors think I had a stroke and I wanted to live alone, and my daughter insisted that I have something that I could keep in touch with people. With the Philips Lifeline, I feel like if something does happen, I will be in touch with somebody. The device is part of me now. I wear it 24 hours a day. I take showers with it, and I sleep with it. The team at Philips Lifeline is also very pleasant.

Hello Mildred,

Thank you for the review. We're sorry to hear about your stroke. Always remember Mildred, we are here, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to get you the help you might need. All the best Mildred, and take care.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I had a stroke and sometimes, have problems walking. I appreciate having Philips Lifeline and I wear it always. It's good for security and confidence. Several times, I have pressed its button and I had great interactions with their team. They're always very prompt in helping me. They are very professional and courteous. Philips Lifeline is a good company.

Hello Simmie,

Our team here will appreciate your kind words about their service and our interactions with you. We strive every day for just that level of courteousness and responsiveness. If you ever have issues in the future Simmie, please give our skilled team a call at 800-635-6156. Thanks you again Simmie, sincerely, and all the best.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I've been with Philips Lifeline for quite some time. I needed a medical alert device due to my age. I wear it all the time everyday. When I woke up on the floor, I used my Lifeline, the team came immediately and they called my son. It was a very good experience.

Hello Bertha,

Thank you so much for the review and being a loyal subscriber! We're glad we were able to get you the help that you needed, and the experience, however unfortunate, was a good one for you. Thank you again Bertha, and take care!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

When I lived in Chicago, Philips Lifeline's reps came by and it was great. I now live in a facility that has their own medical alert device. If my cell phone goes out, then Philips goes out, and I’ve been meaning to look into that.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Your company lied to me. My mother fell and broke her hip. Her button was lost in the emergency room. I called at the end of October to order a replacement. I was assured it would be sent within 2 business days. This proved to be false. Last week, Nov. 15th, I called again. I was told there had been a mixup, it had not been sent yet but for SURE she would receive it by Saturday, the 17th. Again, this was false. My mother received a call, assuring her it would be there by today. Again, false.

Today I called and was promised it will be there by tomorrow. For 3 weeks we have been promised delivery. This does NOT bode well for your company. My mother does not live out in the sticks. She lives in Tulsa for crying out loud! The only rectification we were offered was that we won’t be charged for this month. So what! We didn’t receive the service so of COURSE we shouldn’t be charged. Your company needs to correct this and make it right! For THREE weeks my mom has gone without and all we get is, “sorry.” That doesn’t cut it. We are lucky she hasn’t fallen again in the meantime.

Philips Lifeline response

Melanie, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us in regard to your mothers Philips Lifeline service. We are very sorry for the frustration you have all been dealing with, this is not the Customer Service that we strive for. We will send you a private response so we can get your mothers account information and a phone number we can have a representative from our Customer Service Department reach out to you. Thank you for your patience, we understand how upsetting this is and want to help rectify this or you and your family. Please take care.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

At the time I signed up with Philips, I was in my late 70's and I've had four knee replacements so there was a danger of my falling. I also have had an awful lot of arthritis so I've stayed with them. At this point, I feel that I don't really need it but I'm getting older now. I'm 87 so I probably should have something on my back because I'm a widow and I live by myself. It's just peace of mind. I test it regularly and the response time has been good.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

My children felt safer with us having a medical alert device and we got a Philips Lifeline. We have used it for an emergency. We called it and the reps were very good and prompt. We were very satisfied. We feel a little safer having the Philips Lifeline.

Hello Nora,

Thank you so much for your review. We're always happy to hear that we give families a little bit more peace of mind, feeling a little bit safer as you carry on with your daily lives. All the best Nora, and take care.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

My husband died and I stayed by myself all the time. My children were afraid I might fall and I couldn’t get up without anybody. So, we got a Philips Lifeline. Wearing it is aggravating sometimes but I’ve learned to deal with it, so it’s fine. They had to come out here one time to do something about the device and put another or something in here. I have also pressed the button a time or two. I’d be opening something then I’ve got a bad habit of holding them to me and I’d push the button. They would come on this thing and ask if I was all right. I'd tell them I was then the device would be reset. And sometimes, they would call. The device has done me good and it’d be nice to use if somebody was in a bad shape like I was at that time. It gives my children peace of mind, too.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I’m 85 years old and I’m getting old. I have pine trees, and when I use the blower and getting around them when I work outside, there are roots that stick out from the ground. I can fall easily if I don’t watch my step, which I’ve learned. The Philips Lifeline detected itself when I fell. Their team came very quickly and responded. Had I hurt myself, I would’ve been properly taken care of, because the people were really efficient. I wear the device around my neck, one time it slipped out of my hand. They came on, and they were all flustered. Then when I finally found the right button to push, we were communicating. I told them that I'm okay. Now, I'm well pleased. It’s a good feeling to know that I have somebody that cares. This machine is almost like a person that is looking out for me. I live on my own and I wanted it this way though.

The only thing I'm disgusted about them was somebody from Lifeline kept going through this rigmarole about me having Lifeline. They don't give you a chance to say a word, it's all recorded. I keep saying I have Lifeline now, over and over. Finally, they were down and they hang up and I never get them to cross. A lot of times in the afternoon I take a nap and get awakened out of a nap. Had they checked, they should have known that I had the device. But despite that, I would still recommend them.

Hello Ardell,

Thank you for your review, as well as choosing Philips Lifeline to be your partner in care as an independent senior. Also Ardell, Please reach out to our customer service team by calling 800-635-6156 if you ever have any concerns about our service. Thank you again, and take care.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I had a stroke in the year 2000 and I couldn't get up like that lady in the commercial. So, I got the Philips Lifeline and I wear it around my neck, but the necklace part is too thin. It's like wearing a string around my neck. Once, when I cut my leg with bottles of Carlsberg, I had to call and they were very good. They responded quickly and very politely. I was scared and I had some blood loss, but they stayed on the line and talked to me. I’m very happy with Philips Lifeline.

Hello Cristine,

Thank you for your review. We're always happy to hear that our service was there for our subscribers when they needed it. Thank you for trusting our service and our team. All the best Cristine, and take care.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

We’re in the thick of planning for the memorial for the person who used the Philips Lifeline. We appreciated having the service, particularly the fall alert ‘cause he had dementia and a hip break, so the fall alert ultimately became the operative item. It was recommended to me by somebody that was in the business who said that Lifeline was the biggest and best so that made sense.

The Lifeline started off a little bit more for the user and he wore it every day. Then it ended up being more for the family to be reassured if he fell, or that we could push the button if we were with him and couldn’t leave him. However, there were times because of his dementia or his hearing that he couldn’t respond, and there was always a request for him to respond. That was pretty tough at times in the thick of things when he would mistakenly push it. We should have said he had dementia and we needed to be the one that spoke for him. That would be useful for caregivers to know that if the patient can’t speak for themselves. Overall it’s a good service. The fall alert is a great thing to have in combination with the calling emergency services. We are in a place where other systems don't work well, but Philips is hooked into the landline and that’s what works here.

Philips Lifeline response

Julia, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your story about the Philips Lifeline for your patient, we are sorry for your loss. We are so glad that we could provide reassurance to our subscriber and his family. Our best to you, please be well, and take care!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I have heart trouble and I’m crippled. My sister got a medical alert device for me and she pays for it each month because I won’t be able to afford it on my own. I like my Philips Lifeline device and I'd tell someone to get one. It’s really good and I wear it like a necklace. Having it makes me feel better because I know I can use it and I feel more secure. The Philips Lifeline team is perfect as well. You can call in just for a test and you can call in when you need help.

Hello Penny,

Thank you so much for your review. We're glad we're able to give you the peace of mind you require as an independent senior. Thank you again Penny, and take care.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My kids decided I needed a medical alert device because I lived alone. And the Philips Lifeline one works very good. The only time I take it off is when I'm getting ready to get into the shower. A lot of people say that's when you need it the most because more people fall in the shower. But I hang it up close to me where I can reach it in case I should fall. Other than that, it's no problem whatsoever. The only reason I don’t wear it is because I can't stand that wet cord around my neck. It irritates me. I don’t like the cord. It gets nasty-looking and I can't do anything about changing it.

There was a time or two that I accidentally hit it. That is rare but someone came on right away to know what I needed and I told them I was okay. I don’t think the device goes very far though. If I should make a trip to Carolina where my other kids live, I don’t think it reaches that far. Also, I'm paying about $40 a month for it and that is high for something that I never use. Most of my friends have some and theirs are about $10 a month cheaper. Sometimes I think of disconnecting my Philips Lifeline but the kids would have a fit if I did. And if I'm falling and I really need it one time, it would be worth it.

Philips Lifeline response

Alice, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service.Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions or concerns. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I live alone and I had a mitral valve reconstruction surgery. I needed a medical alert device so that if I’m in trouble, I can get some help. I wear my Philips device around my neck. The string bothers me a little bit because I’m allergic to the metal pieces and they give me a little trouble once in a while, but it’s nothing that I can’t handle. Otherwise, I enjoy having my device. I had several false alarms due to the device being dropped and Philips gave a fairly good response. Their people were very nice.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service Gayle. We are glad you wear your button, please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department at 1-800-635-6156 for any questions or concerns. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

My ward is unbalanced and wobbly on his feet. He's got the Philips Lifeline and we love it. We enjoy it and it's there when we need it. He doesn’t even know he has it on. The people at Philips give excellent service too. He has accidentally pushed the device plenty of times when sleeping and there's a response immediately.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Margaret is of an advanced age. Being a senior citizen who had also fallen, she needed a medical alert service and Philips Lifeline was the one we went with. In the very beginning, their reps were fine. They were responsive and things were working well. But in the past two years or so, it has not been the same type of service that we had gotten in the past. One of the big things had to do with the bad batch of pendants that they had as far as the fall detection went. And so, that caused a lot of issues. It was supposed to have the fall detection and they didn’t. The fall detection wasn’t working and they did not seem to make that very well known to their subscribers.

I was extremely upset with the fact that there were all these bad pendants out there and they did not seem to be very proactive as far as informing the users after that. So the person believes they’re safe and if they fall, things are gonna work. And it turned out that there were a lot of consumers out there that were not safe. Their answer to that was if Margaret falls, have her push the button. They said it was gonna be a month before we could get a replacement pendant and I told them that was not satisfactory. They were able to get us a pendant sooner than that but it took an awful lot of calls and a lot of complaining for that to be done. Their reps were professional and helpful for the most part but sometimes, it seems like various departments didn’t know what was going in other departments. Also, things have gone off and the response time was usually good. For the most part, Philips Lifeline seem to be reliable.

Philips Lifeline response

Jim, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about Margaret's Philips Lifeline Service. We are sorry for the frustration that all of you went through, we will forward this to our Customer Service Dept. and have a representative follow up with you. Please take care.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I was having a real hard time walking and standing up because I would fall all the time. And I’m home alone during the day. The final thing that broke the straw was the paramedics had come out to my house for the third time in one week, and they said they had to take me to the hospital. That was when I decided to have a Philips medical alert device. Since having the Philips device, I’m a little more comfortable doing things that I shouldn’t have been. I’ve accidentally pushed the device a couple of times and it wouldn't take long for the people from Philips to respond. They were perfect. They didn’t have panic in their voices and they were just calming.

Philips Lifeline expert review by Shelley Webb

Get emergency help at home or on the go. HomeSafe plans start at $29.95/month and GoSafe (on-the-go) plans start at $54.95/month. Fall detection and water resistance technology included in some plans.

• 24/7 support: Personal alert services give customers fast, reliable access to North America-based emergency response technicians.

• Fall detection: Auto alert sensors identify falls and instantly alert the emergency response center for immediate help.

• Personal care plan: Remain in control of your life by choosing your emergency contact and in-home or on-the-go system to suit your lifestyle.

• Tested & trusted: State of the art system is recommended

Profile picture of Shelley Webb
Shelley Webb Senior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.

Philips Lifeline Company Information