Call toll free
4.56/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Philips Lifeline was the first to provide a personal alert service in North America and has remained the leading medical alert service in the U.S. At the press of a button, we enable fast, dependable, around-the-clock access to a Trained Care Specialist based in North America, who can respond quickly and dispatch the help you need. Our AutoAlert fall detection technology, available with both our in-home and mobile systems, features smart sensors that can identify most falls and quickly notify a Trained Care Specialist – even if you are unable to press the help button. Since 1974, more than 7.5 million people have counted on Philips Lifeline medical alert systems – and more than 200,000 healthcare professionals have recommended them.

Philips Lifeline Video
Philips Lifeline Gallery (6)
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Philips Lifeline offers products, services and caregiver resources to help people stay independent inside and outside their homes. Systems are competitively priced, and many include extra benefits like innovative location sensors.

PROS

• Fast response times
  • No long-term contract
  • Easy installation
  • Multilingual operators

CONS

• Not UL certified
  • Activation fees

Top Philips Lifeline Reviews

06/14/2019

I live alone and my son thought that it would be a good idea for me to have the Philips Lifeline if I have an emergency. Wearing the device is very comfortable. I haven't had to use it, but it's wonderful that I have the device if I do need it...

06/05/2019

Philips Lifeline gives me peace and security to know that all I have to do is push this little button and I would have help... It just hangs around my neck and I just go about my daily routine… I would highly recommend them.

What is Philips Lifeline?

Philips Lifeline offers medical alert systems that can be used inside or away from home. Philips Lifeline medical alert devices are waterproof and come with 24/7 multilingual emergency response services — with optional features like GPS, fall detection and cellular monitoring. Philips Lifeline costs more than some competitors, but they also offer additional features like automatic system tests to ensure all devices are functioning.

Philips Lifeline HomeSafe medical alert devices

Whether you’re indoors or outside, Philips Lifeline can get help 24/7 through two-way communication. The stationary or mobile alert system will detect falls and answer any call for help with calm reassurance while dispatching medical help and notify caregivers. Philips Lifeline systems utilize technology such as A-GPS, WiFi, audio beacons and location breadcrumbs.

Philips Lifeline HomeSafe Standard
  • $29.95 per month
  • One-time $50 activation fee

The HomeSafe Standard is an at-home device that can be used with landline or mobile phone service. The Philips Lifeline wristband or wearable pendant connects to the stationary box and instantly lets an emergency operator know that you need help.

Philips Lifeline HomeSafe with AutoAlert
  • $44.95 per month
  • One-time $50 activation fee

The Philips Lifeline HomeSafe with AutoAlert system comes with all of the features and benefits of the Standard model but also includes AutoAlert, a sensitive and advanced fall detection technology.

Philips Lifeline GoSafe
  • $54.95 per month
  • One-time $149 device fee

Philips Lifeline GoSafe is a wearable medical alert device that’s ideal for active adults who are frequently away from home. It includes GPS technology to identify your location and AutoAlert, a fall detection technology that’s reliable and consistent.

Philips Lifeline GoSafe 2
  • $49.95 per month
  • One-time $199.95 device fee

Philips Lifeline GoSafe2 is a smaller, lighter and simpler mobile alert system that operates with advanced location technology, two-way voice communication when help is needed, and fall detection technology.

About Philips Lifeline monitoring center

Response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. The company is staffed with 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per year. Operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching. Responders are English and Spanish speaking, but can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages. Most response times are 12 seconds or less, and they're available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Backup systems are in place to help callers stay connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Philips Lifeline caregiver tools

Philips Lifeline support is available to caregivers who want to know that the people they care about can always be reached during distress. Philips Lifeline offers caregivers several resources, like advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers like managing stress and self-care.

The benefits of Philips Lifeline online learning center are numerous and help you realize one of the most critical lessons — realizing you’re not alone in worrying about your loved one’s health. You’ll find access to helpful tools and information that can assist you with time and stress management and help you understand the technology available for medical alerts. You can discuss costs, monitoring and safety at home. You can also talk to people who may be able to advise you on the best products and services for your family’s unique situation.

Additional Philips Lifeline services

Philips Lifeline offers additional services that complement their in-home and on-the-go medical alert systems.

• Medication dispensing:  Philips LIfeline Medication Dispensing Service can help you manage complex or multiple medications. Flexible dispensing alerts remind you when it’s time to take a pill or recharge batteries. The cost is $59.95 per month.
  • Automatic weekly test: Included in your equipment order and service plan is automatic weekly testing. Philips Lifeline sends out weekly testing signals to monitor and ensure the system is functioning as it should. Philips Lifeline battery replacement service is available if needed.
  • Wireless cellular option: You don’t need a landline to access the emergency alert services provided. The wireless cellular option is through AT&T and provides reliable, fast connectivity.
  • Automatic fall detection: AutoAlert is the automatic fall detection created by Philips Lifeline. It will detect that you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button. It can be added to several of the service plans for an additional fee.
  • Location technologies: The available location technologies go beyond basic GPS. The mobile products include six different location technologies, and the service is included in the standard price. Using advanced methods like WiFi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon, your call for help will immediately identify where you are.

Philips Lifeline Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: July 6, 2019

Philips Lifeline was pretty good in the beginning but then the last year, their equipment was failing. I can’t even tell how many buttons they’ve had to ship me and I no longer get a button because I have the one around my neck for fall purposes. I haven’t even had some of them a month and there has been trouble with them. Sometimes, I would have them a month and the reps from Philips would contact me and say it was showing low battery and something was defective, and they’re gonna send me another one. I’m waiting for one to come now. They told me they were replacing the one they just replaced and so, I’ve had a lot of mechanical issues with them. They gotta get on top of this thing.

Something happened with one of the buttons and I was having so much trouble with it. It was on the table and they would call me and ask if I was okay. I would tell them that I didn’t touch the button and nothing happened. Something was going on and I had a problem with it. It wouldn’t even be five minutes later and they would get me again saying they got another report of a fall. When I was telling them that it’s lying on the tale, nobody has touched it and no one was near it, I also told them that they needed to overnight me a button. They said no and that they would have to get a hold of someone. I told them that I couldn’t have them call and then have an ambulance show up. So, I had to shut the service down. For two or three days, I didn’t have it.

It happened four times at the most in the last year where I’ve had to shut the system right off and that’s not okay. I expressed to them that I didn’t like paying for a service and not getting it. I don’t even care if it’s 24 hours. I’m paying for it, I expect it. Also, when you have an issue and something goes down, you’ll have to call customer service. They only open on certain hours and not on weekends. I’ve had a couple of situations where I’ve called them and told them I have something going on and to make a note. They told me I needed to call customer. When you’re in a phone center, you need to know what’s going on and who the people are but the phone center does not wanna deal with it.

Philips Lifeline response

Bruce, thank you so much for taking the time share your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline service. We are sorry for the frustration you have been feeling. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department for anything. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Get expert buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 23, 2019

About eight years ago, my mother-in-law became a widow and we moved her from California to Prattville, Alabama where we live. My wife and I both are still working, so we were concerned about her care while we were gone. She was not needing a live-in aide. She was able to get around with her walker, but we were looking for something in case she fell or in case she had an episode of some sort, and somebody at the church that we attend gave me a flyer about Philips Lifeline. My mother-in-law has had the medical alert device with Philips close to seven years now and it is a great peace of mind, granted it is around $60 a month. It is a good assurance, as well as insurance, that if something were to happen while we were gone, then we would be alerted quickly, as well as the authorities.

We put that to test here about three months ago when she fell. It was not a bad fall. It was more of slipping off of a chair and it wasn’t a big deal, but the whole system worked. The Fire Department came. The only problem that day was we had the Philips Lifeline lock on the door, as well as our own lock on the door with a key code, so it confused the Fire Department. They either had to break the door down or else come to the backyard, so they came to the backyard and found the door that was open. What we’ve done as a result of that was we removed the Philips Lifeline lock and we told Philips Lifeline, as well as the Fire Department, what the combination is to get in the house. Hopefully next time, that won’t be as much drama as it was before.

Everything has been outstanding with the representatives at Philips. In the early days, they would call once a month for a test. However, they’ve stopped doing that. They felt that it was not necessary anymore and we are okay with that. Anytime that we wanna do a test, we can. They are very courteous. And whenever we get an alarm or some indication on the system that is unusual or a red light that shouldn’t be on there, we call them up. For the most part, I can get a hold of somebody quickly during normal duty hours if it is not important. Oftentimes, they have to send a replacement part out and they would do that promptly at no charge because we pay the monthly fee. Everything has been really good and we couldn’t be happier.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your Mother In Law's Philips Lifeline Service Tim. We are glad that having the service has provided peace of mind to you and your family. Please never hesitate to reach out to our Customer Service Department for any questions you may have. Our best to you and your family, Please be well, and take care!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

My husband had died and I was living alone. I had to have a hip replacement and I did beautifully with recovering, but my children are a bit scattered, so I decided I needed some protection and I got a medical alert device. I thought about it for a long time even when my husband was living. I called the local rescue people and at one-time, they had a plan and they told me to call Philips Lifeline, so I did and I've had the device ever since. When I lie in bed at night, if I hear something outside, I can push the button.

I suffered a fall outside my home and didn't even think about the magic button, but all of a sudden, my granddaughter was calling as well as the people that I had on the list to be called. The device worked out fine. It is something that has given me a great sense of protection. I don't really realize that the device is there. I have a friend who had another plan and she saw my device, and we talked about it. She canceled her plan and got her money back and subscribed to Philips.

I live in a forest pine trees and those needles can be slick when they're wet. One day, I went to get in my car and it was parked on a tiny hill. I simply slid down and didn't hurt at all. It was just an easy fall, but it triggered the device. I unlocked my car and got in and went over to my friend's house. I had been to my friend's house, which is just around the corner, and I pulled out in front of an ambulance. It was coming down with its siren and all. I had to make a little curve to come back to my house and the ambulance was in the other traveling lane. When I turned, it turned. I pulled over to the side to let it get by.

The man came to my house and I followed and parked at my neighbor's driveway. I asked if I could help and he said that they had come to check on someone in apartment 1. I said that that was me. They were getting out their equipment to make sure I was all right and we talked. I did not push the button, but it automatically engaged when I went down. It works and I am very happy with my sense of security.

Philips Lifeline response

Daisy, we are sorry to hear that you lost your husband. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We are glad that you wear your button and feel protected. Please be well, safe, and take care!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I fall some, I had trouble with being dizzy and my great grandson insisted a medical alert device was something I needed. He’s very sweet about things so I said, “I’ll give it a try” and I’m glad I did. I called several different companies and I liked the answers I got from Philips. The first time I realized what the device was, I fell and I blacked out because when I came to, the paramedics were here and I said, “I didn’t call you guys.” Then one of them said, “Yes, you did,” and then he told me that even if I can’t punch the button, my system goes off if I need help.

One time I went out in the big room and it’s still in the same building, and the paramedics showed up and I said, “I didn’t call you guys.” And they said, “Yes, you did. Somebody did. Have you had any problem?” And I said, “Well, I was sitting here and all of a sudden I got real dizzy and all. And I spoke to the girl that was next to me and said that I needed to get into my apartment.” And he said, “That set it off.”

I feel more comfortable having the device. I’m not worried about being in my apartment by myself because I know there would be help there if I needed it. When I do press the button, within just a matter of minutes, I have somebody on there to tell them what’s going on. One of my daughters live 10 to 15 minutes from where I am, and one time when I got sick I punched the button because I couldn’t get to my chair to get to the phone and the team got here before my daughter did. Also, they notified my two daughters.

I’m very pleased with the device and I’ll recommend it to anybody. I let other people know how I feel about Philips LIfeline. When I was in the hospital a few months ago, I told them what I had. They agreed that Philips is one of the better companies. So far, I only had to call them once because my battery wasn’t charging, but they sent me a new one and that was it.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for taking the time to provide this review to us about your Philips Lifeline Service Helen. We are glad you feel comfortable having it. We appreciate that you would recommend us. We are sure your grandson is happy that you gave the button a try. Our best to both of you, please be well, and take care!

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

My husband has MS and he falls. We got a Philips Lifeline and he’s had it for many years. This way, I can leave the house for a while and if he falls, then it’s, “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up.” It has worked real well for us. I’m really happy with it. We've used it and Philips reps responded immediately upon pressing the button. They sent help. One particular time, he was trying to get help with me and I didn’t hear him and so he pushed the button. The Lifeline came on immediately and I said, “Wait a minute. I don’t know.” He didn’t have a bell to call me.

I noticed that the way it’s plugged in, if I evidently am cleaning or moved something, sometimes the battery gets low and it flashes. First, I thought it was the console itself that the battery was low. But it was evidently where I plugged it in because I started pushing it. They told me one time the battery was getting low. Then I had to work it making sure it was plugged in and then that was fine. I didn’t realize when the yellow lights were flashing that it was because of me. I thought it was the console. I just had flashing yellow light. So I thought, “Oh, low battery.” And I thought it was the console itself or it was the battery. When we first got it, it was replaced. Somebody else had to come out and give us a new one.

And just recently then, I had the low battery and I thought, “Oh, I’m wondering if the console itself was going bad.” I called the 1-800 number, left a message and nobody ever returned the call. It was a weekend. And then on Saturday, I called. It was Eastern Standard Time and I couldn’t get through. That was when I realized that I need to work on plugging, making sure that it’s plugged in. And then I didn’t have the flashing yellow light. So I answered my own question without Philips because they weren’t there. So far, I’ve been pleased with Philips Lifeline. One time, my husband fell and before I could even get to him, Lifeline came on, which I thought was interesting. I don’t know if my husband had bumped it on the way because he hadn’t pushed it. But they came on before I even get to him. I thought that was interesting that they knew he had fallen and then they came on. That was a little strange, but that was good.

Philips Lifeline response

Ruth, Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Experience. We are so glad to hear that you are happy with the service. We are sorry for the frustration you had trying to contact Customer Service. Our Customer Service Department is open M-F 8am-8:30pm Eastern Time and Saturdays from 10am-4pm Eastern Time 1-800-635-6156. Our best to you and your husband, please take care.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Philips Lifeline?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I like the Lifeline unit. I'm getting old and I decided I needed a medical alert device. The team at Philips Lifeline was okay. They were helpful and friendly to me after we got our communication straightened out.

Philips Lifeline response

Jim, Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us about your Philips Lifeline Service. We are happy that you like your service. Please take care!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2019

I have had a lot of experience with falling and have decided to get the Philips Lifeline. I wear it around my neck every day. I would recommend Philips Lifeline.

Philips Lifeline response

Thank you for your positive review David. We're sorry to hear about your experience with falls, we hope that you're ok and doing well. But thank you for trusting us with your care, should you ever need it in the future. All the best David, and be well.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

We were told we'd get a full refund for service that would not work in our area. Never got the check I was promised. Called as was told they "credited" my closed account (for the wrong amount), not refunded. My credit card been double charged and my mother had sent a payment. Now after 5 customer service people, I am now waiting again for a check because they can't refund my credit card because the amount is "too large." They record calls and need to communicate better between departments so service is consistent and accurate. I would not at this point refer anyone to Philips. We'll see if I actually get my almost $500 back.

Philips Lifeline response

Laurie, thank you for taking the time to provide this review to us about your experience with Philips Lifeline. We are very sorry for the frustration you have been dealing with, this is not the Customer Service that we strive for. We were able to locate your Mother's account with the information that was provided here and we have passed this along to our Customer Service Department. Thank you again for your time.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

We got a new Philips Lifeline button a week or so ago in case of an emergency. A couple of times, my mother rolled over in bed and it went off. They responded within 15 to 20 seconds. I’ll call once a month and make sure that it’s working okay.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I am happy with Philip Lifeline's medical alert device. But every time I am in the shower, the button would get pushed. They would talk to me in the bathroom all the way out in the living room but I couldn't hear that far, especially if the water is running. But they're very good when I reach out to them.

Philips Lifeline FAQ

How does Philips Lifeline work?
All of the Philips Lifeline systems are compatible with either landline or cellular phone service. Installation instructions are provided, and toll-free customer support is available if you have trouble getting started. Once it’s working, you’ll be able to press your help button or rely on the fall detection technology to alert the emergency operators at the call center. Operators will keep you calm and talk you through the situation while they dispatch medical help and contact your trusted family members or caregivers
How does Philips Lifeline fall detection work?
If you fall at your home or while you’re out, you might not be able to reach or press your help button. With Philips Lifeline fall detection, you’ll still have access to emergency response. Fall detection is an addition available to many of the products and services available. The system differentiates between actual falls and false alarms using accelerometers, barometric sensors and innovative algorithms. The AutoAlert technology immediately connects to the response center, even if you’re unconscious or unable to ask for help. It’s one of the most reliable fall detection technologies with 95 percent accuracy.
Does Medicare cover Philips Lifeline?
No, Medicare does not cover Philips Lifeline medical alert systems.
What is Philips Lifeline’s average response time?
Philips Lifeline average response time is 12 seconds.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Philips Lifeline medical alert system?
No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Philips Lifeline.
What is Philips Lifeline’s return policy?
You can return your products within 30 days for a full refund provided they are in good condition. If you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $75 restocking fee.
What is Philips Lifeline’s cancellation policy?
If you want to cancel your order, contact Philips Lifeline customer service. There may be a $50 cancellation fee assessed.
Does it cost extra to add my spouse to Philips Lifeline monitoring service?
Yes, you must purchase an additional pendant or wristband for your spouse, but there is no additional monthly charge.
Where are Philips Lifeline monitoring centers located?
Philips Lifeline monitoring response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada.
Do Philips Lifeline emergency response services require a landline?
No. Philips Lifelines have cellular options that do not require a landline.
Does Philips Lifeline offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
Yes, a warranty for your Philips Lifeline medical device is guaranteed for one year from the date of installation.
Does Philips Lifeline offer a free trial period?
No, Philips Lifeline does not offer a free trial period.
Are Philips Lifeline medical alert systems waterproof?
Yes, you can keep the Philips Lifeline pendant on while you’re showering or bathing.
How much does Philips Lifeline cost?
Philips Lifeline prices start at $29.95 per month. Keep in mind, Philips Lifeline medical alert systems have a one-time activation fee or device charge, plus a monthly subscription fee.

Do we recommend Philips Lifeline?

Yes. Philips Lifeline medical alert products are designed to help active adults, as well as the people who love and care for them. Philips LIfeline medical alerts provide aging adults with the security of having an immediate and simple way to communicate if medical help or other assistance is needed. There’s also a network of support available to caregivers and family members.

Philips Lifeline Company Information