4.0/5 (213 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Lifeline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: March 19, 2014

I've got it since I live in my house. I cant walk (to work); I have multiple sclerosis, and they recommended it for that reason. Philips Lifeline is fantastic. I like it. I wear it daily.

Original review: March 19, 2014

My Philip Lifeline alert system is working fine, though I've never ever used it. My children insist that I have it and I also keep my cell phone in my pocket most of the time. I would recommend it.

Lifeline response

Thanks for recommending us!

Original review: March 19, 2014

I have Philips Life but I haven't used it so I can't tell whether I have satisfaction or not. But I think it would be good.

Original review: March 18, 2014

I have never had to use this thing around my neck, thank goodness, but I wear it all the time. Would recommend Philips Lifeline.

Original review: March 18, 2014

I’m pleased with the ordering process and glad that I have Philips Lifeline - it's a life saver for me.

Verified Reviewer Caregiver of Customer
Original review: March 9, 2014

We have been customers just over a month after my mother took a fall and we decided we needed a medical alert system. We went for the auto fall detection service which worked great in the instance leading up to my complaint. My issue is that, only one contact attempt was made to inform me that my mother was sent to the ER. I had just switched phone providers and voice mail was not yet set up, so they could not leave a message and at the time they called, I was driving in an area with spotty service and missed the call. I found out about the emergency 2.5 hrs after the fall occurred from a neighbor, calling to see if everything was ok after seeing the ambulance in the driveway. By this time, my mother had already been released and was sitting in the emergency room lobby waiting for someone to figure out she was there.

Verified Reviewer Direct Customer
Original review: Jan. 12, 2014

I have had a very positive experience with Lifeline. I have had to press the button several times when I fell or felt dizzy. They were great and very helpful in responding, contacting rescue services and contacting my emergency contacts. They are helpful and fairly prompt in responding, and I am very satisfied with their service. I would consider changing services only to get GPS service.

Original review: June 2, 2013

My mother decided to return the Philips Lifeline. I don't like how she was treated whenever she called the company. They demanded she pay the shipping charges and to do it by a deadline or pay $400. Mom is almost 92 and cannot drive anymore. She was stressed out for over a week over the whole matter and the rude way she was treated. It is terrible to treat the elderly such as she was treated. She finally got the thing returned and it was a terrible experience for her.

Original review: March 30, 2013

We have had Life Line for 4 years and just recently finally used it with very disappointing results. My mother pushed her button because of a very high pulse rate of 150. She has atrial flutter that can cause a stroke. The Life Line representative came on the line and asked if she needed help. My mother responded yes, but the representative said, "Okay, I'll reset your alarm." My mother repeated, "No, I need help," and the representative again said, "Okay, I'll reset your alarm." This happened 3 times before the representative said "Okay," and started asking the emergency questions.

We have only a 1400 sq. ft. single story home with two Life Line receivers more than they advised we needed. She tests monthly and never had problems with hearing issues at testing. Next was the bad part. The representative hung up and said someone would call back. Another rep did call back and advised 911 was on the way - but she hung up too. No Life Line rep was on the line to acknowledge that emergency response actually arrived to help. They had not attempted to call my mother back at home to until emergency had arrived, assessed her problem and taken her to the hospital. So when Life Line finally called back (over 45 minutes later), of course, no one was at home.

I got a call from Life Line 50 minutes after my mom first pushed her button telling me they didn't know where she was! Can you image how frightening a call like that would be? Luckily, I received the call while already at the hospital with my mom. My name was the only name on Life Line's first to call list! It was only because a neighbor contacted me (on the same phone number Life Line had) when the paramedics arrived. This way I knew what was going on and allowed me to meet the ambulance at the hospital. Life Line should have been the one to inform me promptly and correctly.

What would have happened if there was a screw up and emergency responders didn't arrive? Life Line would not have known. When I asked this question to the Life Line Customer Service Rep, I was advised that it was the Emergency Responders' responsibility to call in and let Life Line know they had arrived or if the emergency responders did not arrive - my mother should have pressed her button. What if she was unconscious? I have not paid either the Emergency Responders or my mother $50 a month for 4 years! It certainly was not their responsibility.

Yesterday, we took the equipment back to the local Life Line office and cancelled our service. I did miss returning the necklace and have put it in the mail today. I have to say the local customer service representative has been very kind; it wasn't her fault. Luckily, the incident did not result in a disaster, but it well could have and given me a heart attack in the process if my neighbor hadn't been there.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
 World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009