4.0/5 (202 ratings)

About Lifeline

Lifeline, formerly known as Philips Lifeline, offers medical alert systems and monitoring services. Its equipment can use either a landline or cellular connection, depending on the model you choose. AutoAlert fall detection is also included with some models. However, there are upfront costs for activation and installation, even if you choose to install your system on your own.

Pros

• Waterproof buttons
  • Multiple location technologies
  • Fall detection may be included

Cons

• Upfront costs
  • Cancellation fees

Bottom Line

Lifeline helps people stay independent inside and outside their homes. There is no long-term commitment. However, there are one-time fees for activation and installation in addition to the monthly rate.

Top Lifeline Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

There are other companies out there that say they're cheaper but their service is not as reliable as Philips. … Plus, a lot of them don’t have that extra feature where if you fall...

Verified

... I like Philips Lifeline because if I have to have a service, I can use the life alert system. I've been on this device for a long time and I have had everything replaced, the ...

Lifeline medical alert devices

What is Lifeline?

Lifeline is a medical alert company that offers home-based and mobile medical alert devices. In an emergency, these devices contact a 24-hour monitoring center that can send help to the user.

The company, originally called Lifeline Systems and then Philips Lifeline, was founded in 1972, but it has adopted new technologies and industry standards since then.

About Lifeline monitoring center

Lifeline’s response centers are located throughout the U.S. and Canada. These facilities include 200 emergency operators who answer up to 18,000 calls per day, day or night. Its operators are well-trained and receive hours of instruction and personal coaching.

The company hires operators that speak English and Spanish, but you can also access interpreters who speak 140 languages altogether. It has backup systems in place to keep emergency responders connected even during power outages, cellular disruptions and natural disasters.

Lifeline caregiver tools

Lifeline offers caregivers multiple resources, including advice for introducing an emergency medical alert system into a loved one’s life. It also gives practical tips for caregivers on managing stress and self-care.

The Cares app serves as a hub to help you share information with your family and friends. This app also lets users share notes and updates on their well-being, making it easier to keep in touch even when you can't physically be together.

Lifeline medical alert costs

Lifeline’s prices start at $29.95 per month, but keep in mind that additional upfront fees are usually required.

HomeSafe StandardHomeSafe with AutoAlertOn the Go
Monthly fee$29.95 or $43.95$44.95 or $58.95$49.95
Device fee$0$0$99.95
Activation fee$50$50$0
Installation fee$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99$19.95 or $99
Cancellation fee$50$50$50

Lifeline FAQ

How does Lifeline work?

Lifeline medical alert systems can be used inside or away from home. In an emergency, simply press the help button to contact a response center. Its monitoring centers, based in the U.S. and Canada, have an average response time of 12 seconds.

Once alerted, a trained specialist will briefly discuss the situation with you and reach out to either emergency services or a personal contact.

Certain devices also feature unique technologies, including:

• Fall detection: AutoAlert is an automatic fall detection technology created by Lifeline that detects if you’ve fallen and need help, even if you cannot reach your help button.
  • Location technologies: The GoSafe 2 has five different location technologies, including Wi-Fi, A-GPS, location breadcrumbs and an audio beacon to identify where you are.
Does Medicare cover Lifeline?

Original Medicare does not generally cover medical alert systems. However, some Medicare Advantage (Part C) plans might.

What is Lifeline’s return policy?

You can return your purchased pendants within 30 days for a full refund if they are in good condition. However, if you have activated your product or you don’t have the original packaging, there will be a $50 restocking fee.

Do I have to sign a contract to get a Lifeline medical alert system?

No, a contract is not necessary to receive products and services from Lifeline.

Does Lifeline offer a warranty on medical alert devices?

Yes, the warranty for a Lifeline On the Go medical device is for one year. However, the company’s other devices don’t appear to have warranties.

Is Lifeline legit?

If you or your loved one could benefit from a medical alert system, consider Lifeline. Its devices provide the security of an immediate connection to trained professionals who can help coordinate medical aid or other assistance. The equipment is easy to install and customizable to your needs. Both landline and cellular systems are available, and you can personalize your response plan and emergency contacts with the U.S.- or Canada-based response centers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lifeline?

Original review: June 7, 2022

I have received a diagnosis of myasthenia gravis just recently and there's a potential for me not being able to breathe well enough and at the same time, not being able to call for help. Philips Lifeline relieved the problem for me. I am married but my husband and I sleep in different bedrooms on different floors. He's a little deaf, and I couldn't even call for help. It is unlikely that I'm going to end up needing emergency help while I'm in bed in the middle of the night but that was terrifying me. So this is a very stress-relieving thing, even though I may never have to use it. I am keeping the button near the bedside.

I went through a hospital here in the state that has an office for this kind of thing. A rep ordered it for me and he helped me tremendously. He was wonderful. I've only had one issue. I went ahead and filled out the paperwork and put all the information in but I needed to go back into my account to make a change. So, I filed a support ticket or sent an email. I had somebody work with me over the space of several days but he ended up never responding back to me. The tech support via email was abysmal. I couldn't find where to make that change and all I was asking was where is this. The rep went off on asking for all sorts of thing. I said that all I needed was a screenshot pointing to where the button is. I wasn’t nasty. But at that point, he never even responded to me again. So I don't know at all how most people access any of this stuff.

I called a rep and she got the information. I still don't know how to alter that in the app though. I have to make this change again but I don't want to have to make a phone call. I'm used to being able to go into an app or into a website and making these changes myself. And this kind of thing may well be more reliant on a phone call to ask for help. But other than that, I'm fine with the whole thing.

Lifeline response

Delia, We are very happy to hear that you feel safer with our service Please know we are there when you anytime you need us. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 8, 2022

My Lifeline device has been pretty good. It's just Lifeline is going away from hard telephone lines, and they're going into this computer thing where your phone line runs through the computer modem. Because of that, there's a 5 or 10-minute delay. I didn't realize this at first because we would press the button to do the monthly check, and at one time, it took over 10 minutes and we couldn't understand why. I talked to one of the people and they were like, “No, the call came in immediately. It did not wait or nothing." She contacted one of those technical guys, talked to him, and he said that it's probably on our end. There's something wrong with the connection. Then I realized and told him we don't have a regular hard line. That was when he said that I got to have a hard line to connect directly to that.

Other than that, the thing’s great. If I could stop hitting it accidentally, I'll be all right. If it happens, they are very nice about it. I was in the shower one time and I hit it. I heard them at the door because they were gonna break in the door. It’s one of those $1,000 doors with the leaded glass. It’s beautiful. So, I'm glad that I heard something. I turned the shower off. I came out and there was the firefighter down the road from me. They came because they got the call, and I was in the shower so what I started doing is leaving the door open in case anything like that happens again. I love the peace of mind that my device gives. I'm with them because of the fall detection. If I fall and hit my head and I'm knocked unconscious, they will be coming to get me, and that’s what I need.

Original review: April 26, 2022

The responses that I've gotten from Lifeline whenever I've happened to activate the device by mistake have been excellent. The quality of the device is excellent, too. But I am very dissatisfied with the lanyard because it doesn't stay attached. There's a good chance that it'll just slip down inside my clothing when I'm out walking and be lost. This particular lanyard came with a new and improved device in December. The old lanyard was just fine. I wish that I detached it when I returned the initial device that I was sent because then I would not be having any problems. I had no idea that they were gonna be sending out such poor-quality equipment.

I don't wanna lose the device. I have to jigger it so that it gets up that short. In order to take it off, I have to release it to take it over my head. Because when it's shortened, it won't go over my head. It's difficult to find to close it, although it's very easy to get it open. I've had three different occasions and been told that I would be sent a new lanyard. But that has never happened. They're not doing what they said they would.

Not only that, I had an occasion when it came off while I was sleeping at night. I must have been lying on top of it because, somehow, they were alerted. But I did not hear any voice message coming over the device. While an ambulance was standing at the ready, the person who was in charge of doing all this did not just dispatch the ambulance but called my son who lives 30 miles away and also called the director of the retirement community where I live and tried to get me on the cell phone. Since sometimes I get prank calls on the cell phone in the middle of the night, I didn't bother to get up and answer them. But when the landline started to ring, I got up and answered the phone. The ambulance never came. But I didn’t want this thing to happen again.

The other day, I went for a long walk, and I put the device in my jacket pocket. When I took my jacket off, when I stopped at the library, the pocket hit the chair that I was meaning to sit on and that alerted the device. I got a message. “Are you all right?” So it's been a real nuisance. I can't believe I'm paying more than $50 for this lack of service every month. But the device itself is what I need. My son wanted to have the comfort of knowing that I was equipped in this way.

Lifeline response

Sara, thank you for providing this valuable feedback. I'm very happy to hear that you have had nice interactions when reaching out to us. If you would like a replacement sent please call our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 and they will be happy to assist you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

I've used Lifeline a couple of times and the last time was in May of this year. I was having issues with lightheadedness and dizziness and I had a bad one very early in the morning and pushed the button. The reps responded quite quickly. I have the device anytime I’m in the house and the only time I don’t have it on is if I’m in the shower. It’s supposed to be waterproof but I've never tried it.

The only thing that concerned me about it is I live in a split-level house and the box that comes with it is not on the same level where I usually am. For instance, I called from my bed, which was on a different level. I have a phone next to my bed but I had to pick up the phone to talk to someone. I pushed the button but I couldn't hear what the response was. When I call in once a month to check myself in, I'm standing in the same room where the box is. But up in my bedroom, I could not hear what the person in the box was saying. It might be because my hearing isn't the greatest. But when I originally got it, the woman who came to set it up for me had gone outside my house and had said that if I were out in the yard working and I got hurt, I should be able to call it in from there. But I've never tested that here.

Lifeline response

Dolores, Thank you for taking the time and sharing your valuable feedback with us. I would like to reassure you that your button is waterproof and you can wear it in the shower. If you reach out to our customer service department at 1-800-635-6156 they can discuss your account with you and address all of your questions and concerns. Please be well, safe and take care.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2021

My grandson didn't like the device I had so he bought a Lifeline for me. He liked this one and since he's smart at all this stuff, I went along with what he said. This was what he got his mother when she was living. He thought I needed it too. It's just the device is a lot heavier than the one I had before. It hangs down to almost my belly button so it’s inconvenient sometimes. It also slides all around and looks really tacky all the time. But I'm 93 years old so if it works at all, it does good.

I've had this device since 2016. If it's charged, I don't have to be taking the whole thing with me everywhere I go. That was why my grandson wanted this one. I had to pick up the little thing and carry it with me with the other one. The only time I really take this device off is when I charge it. It doesn't take about 30 minutes to get it charged. This morning, the device went off and it woke me up, so I gotta put it on charge. There was a time when I was at church on a Sunday night and we were singing. I wanted to look nice so I removed the device from my neck and laid it in my purse. The thing went off. I was just gonna cut it off but it didn’t cut off. Everybody thought it was funny and the preacher said, “At least you know it works.” Three weeks ago, Lifeline also called me when it went off that day. It’s really sensitive. Other than that, I would recommend Lifeline.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2022

I ordered a Lifeline package on 5/23/2022 for my elderly mother; it is August and I have still not received! Customer service can see the order but can't tell me why it hasn't been shipped. They don't seem to have a record of my previous inquiries. I requested a supervisor follow up but no one called.

Lifeline response

Elizabeth, I am sorry for the delay you have experienced in getting your mother equipment. I have sent your escalation to a supervisor. Someone should be in touch with you shortly.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

Seems like a good idea at first and worked well at first. A few months in and system failed. Said they would send her a replacement on 5/3. It is now 8/3 and they said they are working on it. My mom has fallen twice. They said they have warehouse issues. They are unreliable at best.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2022

The device works pretty well. It has a little too frequent of a call that says, "You have to reset." But it happens once a month and every few weeks. You have to push the button so that they can reset it. When Claire says that she needs the reps to talk louder, they do. So that's as good as it's gonna get.

Lifeline response

Hello, Thank you for your feedback, I will have someone on our customer service team to reach out and possibly get the button volume turned up a bit and to see if they can troubleshoot her unit so she won't have the frequent button resets.

Original review: July 31, 2022

Lifeline is a good thing. I've had no problems with it and I just do my routine check. I have not had an emergency but my uncle and aunt did, and that’s what convinced me.

Lifeline response

Shirley, Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear you are happy with our service. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Original review: July 30, 2022

I wear the device all the time, except when I take a shower. I know I can take a shower with it on, but I don’t like for it to get wet. I'm well-satisfied with it and I feel that I'm safer wearing it. I’ve fallen one time since I’ve been wearing it and it was very shortly till a couple of men were here from Lifeline. They got word somehow after I had fallen that I needed help. But I was already up off the ground. I was next to a fig tree and it was very small, and I scooted over to it and got up.

Lifeline response

Fern, Thank you for providing your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear you are happy with our service. Please know we are always here for you. Please be well, safe, and take care.

Lifeline Company Information

Media

VIDEOS & IMAGES
    AWARDS & CREDENTIALS
    iF Product Design Award for our HomeSafe Wireless and GoSafe products - 2014
     World’s Most Ethical Companies - Philips is included in the top 100 of the world’s most ethical companies for 2012, 2010, 2009