Honda

65%
    show rating distribution
Compare Auto Manufacturers

Research top Auto Manufacturers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Tell us about your experience with Honda:

Record a review about your experience with Honda:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I am not very happy with Honda as of today. A part of the front suspension fell out onto the highway apparently today. This vehicle was Honda "certified" but now I am finding out vehicle was apparently wrecked with is big no no. Just buyers beware that "bullet proof" Honda is no better than our old suppliers at Chevy and Ford. P.S. I am also being hung with $800 repair bill for something that is no fault of my operation of vehicle.

• add your response

Honda refuses to provide rental car while RECALL parts are back-ordered. Honda's Recall Letter to us states - if we drive our 06 Honda Pilot, "The defects in these vehicles could kill or injure you or other people in your vehicle." We received the recall letter on April 24, 2015. Same day I called Parker Honda, Morehead City, NC to schedule the work. I was told it would be several weeks before the parts could be ordered and installed. Parker Honda said to contact Honda Customer Service (HCS) about a rental car. I called HCS to get a rental vehicle that day and got a Case #. I was told we could not immediately have a rental car for the 'several weeks' until our vehicle can be repaired. WE ARE PAYING FOR A RENTAL CAR TO AVOID BEING KILLED BY THIS DEFECTIVE VEHICLE. HCS WILL NOT RETURN CALLS/MSGS TO PROVIDE TEMPORARY VEHICLE.

• add your response

Accord EX V6 2006. Service Bulletin #08-045: Idler pulley mounting surface is tilted, causing timing belt to rub against pulser flange on drive pulley. Repair includes installation of taper shim kit and a water pump, and grinding a relief on engine mount bracket, if needed. Cost to Repair Defect: > $1,000 Stance of AHM: AHM acknowledges defect, but will not accept financial responsibility for repair of defect. AHM claims that vehicle is 14,500 miles and 4 years outside of normal warranty. Therefore, owner of vehicle is financially responsibility for repair of defect.

Complaint: AHM released a defective product into market. Consequently, AHM should be held financially responsible for repairing that defective product. A warranty written by AHM should not exempt AHM from rightful financial responsibility.

• add your response

I purchased a 2011 Ridgeline and within the 5 years it has 30k miles and has been in the shop 20 times and still has to go in again. Problems from oil leaks to windows not working in the cold. Honda and the dealer won't step up and take responsibility for this lemon. The lemon law board in Vermont was the biggest waste of time ever. They won't let me show my evidence that this was a lemon. Makes me wonder who is paying them off. My first Ridgeline that was made in Canada was an unbelievable vehicle. This Ridgeline was made in Alabama. Typical USA quality. I'll never deal with Honda USA or auto master ever again.

• add your response

We were denied warranty coverage by Honda America since they claim we did not follow the correct procedures for towing as outlined in the manual. I followed the procedures each day we traveled but they still denied coverage. Has anyone else suffered this injustice? Consequences - we are out of pocket $ 6,400. The dealer in New Orleans that did the work is Premier Honda.

• add your response

I have been back and forth to the Honda dealership and have explained to the salesman, auto mechanic multiple times that since the purchase of my Honda which was new at the time the air meter icon kept appearing. The representative kept saying well bring it back we'll put air in it. Not until after a nail got in that same tire was it discovered the rim had a crack. People who'd been in the car kept asking why does this new car wheels make that sound. Well now I know and the Dealership does not stand by anything except selling a vehicle. Help!

• add your response

On my 2012 Honda pilot there is a terrible shake and humming noise. This all started at 28,000 miles. When driving at any speed from 20 mph to 70 mpg. There is an awful shake that comes from the vehicle when it is in the eco mode. I have taken it to the dealership 4 times. Each time they claim that they have fixed. On a test ride with the manager the last time he told that the shake I am feeling is a normal characteristic of the Honda pilot. I kindly told him him that they didn't list that as one of the selling point. He responded by saying that it is normal and there is no fix for it. I strongly feel that no one should have paid 30k for a vehicle that has a shake in it. So once again I will be going back to Bianchi Honda in Erie, PA to see if they will fix my pilot or take it back.

• add your response

At 500 miles the vehicle shook violently at a stop sign. Since there is a vibration of the entire vehicle when idling in Drive gear...at stop lights. Everything shakes. American Honda and the dealer said there is a fix in the works. Honda case managers are evasive and say it's not a defect. Many are online complaining. I've reported to the CA state attorney general, written a certified letter, opened 2 cases with Honda. No fix.

• add your response

I own a 2009 Honda Civic. I have had multiple issues with the drivers side lock and the trunk lock. I have had it replaced once under warranty. But the drivers side lock broke again after the warranty was expired. I have had to replace my brake pads before even reaching 30,000 miles. And recently received a letter in the mail saying I can make a claim for a class action suit due faulty brake pads that were applied on the Honda Civics from 2006 to 2009. The local Honda dealership, Spreen Honda, was offering free oil changes to people for a good review on Yelp, desperate times for Honda. Such cheap accessories and parts applied by such a major corporation, thanks for exploiting the middle class.

• add your response

My 2013 Honda CRV has only 19000 km on it. It rolls backwards a few feet whenever it is in park.

• add your response

Engine dashlight on with subsequent slipping of the transmission when attempting to gain speed or accelerate. Had service on transmission done per recommendations from code repair mechanic obtained when taken in for service, and all recommended service per owner's manual current and has been done. I am original owner of vehicle purchased at Orr Honda in Texarkana. I have reviewed the thousands of complaints online of this same thing on NHTSA, highway safety commission, and the center for auto safety car complaints sites.

Many report an eventual deceleration from either the transmission dropping down suddenly to a lower gear, or total transmission failure, some nearly resulting in accidents on busy highways and I'm certain others that are still unreported as mine was until I began to research this engine light and codes that are being given with some suggested electrical 3rd & 4th gear switch replacement and close examination of the lines supplying the tranny fluid to different areas of tranny, as well as the drain and refill times two. Some even recommend three and then if issue reoccurs or simply doesn't improve at all, all have pretty much been advised by their Honda Dealership that they need either to replace the torque converter &/or the entire transmission and majority are left being told that it is their problem solely to pay for.

Now while I'm no attorney, nor am I an experienced mechanic, but I am a licensed practicing medical professional who witness firsthand what a serious vehicle accident can do to devastate a person's health and life as well as that of their family and friends. So I am questioning why the spokesperson for NHTSA, Karen Aldana, as she stated in her interview printed in the Jan. 8th, 2011 issue of the NY Times would state that they were considering another investigation into this matter if the court-mandated recall in 04 on specific 03 & 04 Pilots and other models as well with the VIN #'s they issued recall for continued to experience transmission issues that consequently could result in serious safety issues.

I would think that after this court-ordered class action settlement regarding the recall of Honda various makes and models on the airbags that have caused loss of life and tragic accidents as well as life-altering pain and undue suffering that NHTSA and Honda would err on the side of good faith and customer safety and have an obvious warranted and needed recall and replace or cover repair costs on their product that they continue to deny exists. And when I read as many consumer complaints as I have the past week it doesn't take a genius to realize their transmission in the said make and model vehicles suffers a serious obvious design flaw, doesn't have sufficient filtration internally to prevent foreign body flakes that can begin to occur if torque converter begins to fail, results in the serious costly and I'm sure thousands of reported issues as well as at least that many more that go unreported to this day.

I should hope it isn't going to also take tragic loss of life or injury to us the very customers that keep them in business and were sold a product we were lead to believe they would stand behind in the event of such an issue of this magnitude. I am going to do whatever I can to bring a new spotlight of attention on this travesty and seek out a law firm to once again hold Honda accountable for this ongoing problem that consumers are being forced to either cover the expense of repair or take their losses and simply buy a different vehicle which from all I have read will never purchase another Honda product due to their poorly handled resolution to this that they very well know they are responsible for and deny to address.

And if someone has or does suffer serious injury from this transmission flaw I should hope that they are held legally accountable for it and the justice system will punish the responsible party or parties accountable, not that that will be enough. What a shame to see a automobile Dealer that once had such high standards and a product to back it up who stood behind it fall to this level and sit by and be allowed to do little or nothing to help the very people that helped them achieve the status they have today.

But that status I predict is going to soon slip away and they may find themselves in the very situation others have such as the Chrysler corporation before they began to realize if they wanted to survive they must provided a superior product, put their customers first and stand behind the products they sell. This issue covers such a broad spectrum of their make and models and so many people have needlessly been put in a position to suffer due to it that left unaddressed and not rectified their demise will soon follow. A product design flaw is one thing but negligence and a corporate cover-up are an entire other story.

• add your response

2nd time our 2012 Pilot rolled a few feet after being put in park. No one was hurt. Honda looked at this after the first incident and said the vehicle was fine.

• add your response

Honda Civic 2007 LX - 7 years later, replacing corroded right front engine mount ($675 approx.) - forums say this is common. Previously, airbag system shuts down one month after paying off car (5 yrs.) due to failed passenger-side airbag sensor in seat ($1000+ to fix - didn't bother). Based on experience with Honda "quality", it's over for me and Honda. This will be the last ever Honda for us. Buying the second Honda was a mistake.

• add your response

The Honda 2013 CRV Nav system is totally unsafe and dangerous. I have contacted Honda many times and always receive a "Who Cares" attitude. The system was sold by Honda but they could care less. Never buy a Honda and expect any quality or concerns for keeping a brand new system operable. Honda has absolutely no sense of responsibility for the product as soon as it is sold even during the first part of warranty. THINK BETTER AND NEVER BUY A HONDA!

• add your response

I have been driving Accords since 1989, I learned a very valuable lesson. Once you have purchased your vehicle (this is my third Accord), per Honda of America any dealership has the option not to service your car. I was told to find a dealer that would work on my car. In my opinion this is not the way to treat a LOYAL customer. I have sent many individuals to purchase this brand---No more. Customer loyalty is not of high value to HONDA.

• add your response

After around 10,000 miles I noticed the chrome peeling on my 2013 Accord EXL. These were special ordered at a cost of $1600! The dealer replaced them, and now at 26,000 they are peeling again! Very cheap chrome plating job. Now the only alternative without any out of pocket expense is to downgrade to a standard stock wheel, if I want to steer away from the the obviously defective chrome like wheels I paid an exuberant price for. What a rip off!

• add your response

When I bought my '05 Honda Accord Hybrid, I was told the hybrid battery would last to 150,000 to 200,000 miles. At 81,000, just after the warranty expired, the check engine & IMA (hybrid battery) light came on. I paid $300 for a 'software upgrade' at the time & was assured by Honda Customer Service that they would stand by their product. Over the next couple of years, the lights came on periodically and I've had to pay for additional 'software upgrades.' The last time it happened, the lights came on again less than 30 days later.

Now Honda is saying the battery is bad and needs to be replaced, at my expense. I have called several dealers and gotten estimates ranging from $2,700 to $5,700 (for parts only). When I purchased this car, I was told the battery would cost $2,000 or less. Now I'm stuck with a car that will not pass a state safety inspection without paying several thousand dollars for a replacement battery. On top of it, the car has NEVER gotten the mileage Honda claimed it would get. In fact, it gets WORSE mileage than my last Honda Accord.

• add your response

Purchased new June 2013 in Canada, the Dealer did not disclose there was a Class Action Lawsuit over Oil burning with VCM technology on V-6's in the US. They knowingly sold me a defective vehicle. Brought in 4 Deceleration issues the Service Manager blamed us for Misapplication of the Brake Pedal when TSB #13-031 in the US was to correct the problem. Another Automaker used this story line to deflect the blame. In August 013 the NAV Unit was affected by water leaking by the out of place washer hose grommet on the hatch flooding a module in the trunk. A under dash HVAC unit was also replaced. The odor was similar to perfumes used in Portable Outhouses. This took 1 month to fix. It was in the shop an average of 5.71 days per month the first 7 months.

Customer Relations stated Honda does not rent vehicles and wanted to know who told me they do. Policy is after 5 hours in the Shop they're to provide a loaner or rental. I also purchased 8 year Extended Warranty for 200,000 Kl. July 2/14 the NAV Unit was melting down again with the same horrible perfume odor. I spent the night in ER. Fed up with the car, I left it at the Dealer for 2 months. I tried in good faith to have Honda remedy the issue. In 17 months I never heard the cooling fans until November 13/2014 Technicians said there's no PCM Codes. I think Honda better audit the capability of their computers to detect issues like Coolant fans not running. They denied any oil leak on July 2nd; but when I learned of the Class Action 1 month ago opening the hood oil is leaking on the exhaust manifold. 2 weeks later in a rainstorm the NAV unit Od'd again.

The Service Department was not printing Work Orders that I would sign off on until I demanded they do after the 3rd visit. No Paper Trail makes for good PR & auto ratings. The Crosstour handles solidly, but their cursed with the VCM. I had the Accura Dealer verify the Head Gasket leaking oil yesterday. The Honda Dealer owner & Service Manager must hire smell & sight impaired mechanics. He has abused our trust. The California Class Action settlement is an Environmental Disgrace allowing new Honda V-6's burning 1 quart of oil every 750 miles to operate in a State where even lawnmowers had to meet Emissions Standards. This Settlement should be appealed. In Ontario Canada 10 year old vehicles have to meet the Province's Drive Clean Emissions testing to remain in use. These Honda's would not even pass after 10,000 Kl. never mind 10 years. So basically the investment is lost, and the owner is only covered by the Extended Warranty for 8 years. Honda gladly sold me a 8 year warranty. Who compensates us for inhaling burning motor oil affecting our health and the Environment, our poor gas mileage, oil usage and lost time taking these engineering fiascoes to the Shop.

If Honda is still producing engines with VCM the Environmental Protection Agency should sue them for Billions, plus the DOJ for willful blindness and criminal negligence, especially over the Deceleration issue where Rear End Collision's can occur endangering human life. How would the vehicle rear ending a Decelerated Honda know what happened when the brake lights did not come on. Even though TSB # 13-031 is published they only fix the failing Oil switches Reactively after there are problems, which could mean after loss of human life.

I purchased a Honda because of the excellent ratings www.HealthyStuff.org had about interior panels in Honda's having the lowest rating of all Automakers for Chemical Off-gassing which can impair the occupants health in vehicles. Honda has a little homework to do about engines spewing burning motor oil into the AC system and atmosphere & Electronic components melting down inside the cabin.

• add your response

I purchased a brand new 2014 Honda Civic Ex this year. It now has 20,000 km on it and let's just say don't believe what you read when Honda tells you you'll get exceptional fuel mileage. I don't even get good mileage. On average my fuel light comes on before it even hits 350 km. Right now my tank is sitting at 1/8 and there's 286 km on it. I'll be lucky if I hit 350 km. I've contacted honda multiple times and no help whatsoever. I purchased this vehicle for fuel mileage as I had a Chevy Tahoe prior to. I got better mileage on my truck than I do this car. I will never purchase another honda ever again. I am trying to get rid of this one now and very displeased with how Honda has treated the whole situation.

• add your response

Brand new Honda Pilot 2014 EX-L 4WD. Bought it from Union Honda located in Wilmington DE. After driving for few months gas cap door fell off because the round gas cap door is cheap piece of plastic clip on cover. Car dealer won't fix it unless I pay few hundred dollar. They told me it don't cover under warranty because there is no default, I broke it. Paid thousands of dollar for new car to put epoxy glue to hold the gas cap door. Feels great.

• add your response

I own a 2010 Honda Accord coupe EX. This is now the second time the rear driver side quarter panel has cracked. My assumption is because of the quality of the rear quarter panel, material of it, and the cold weather. Both times the quarter panel has cracked, it has started out about an inch and then grew to four or five inches. Same spot both times. The first instance the entire quarter panel was replaced by a Honda dealer. I'm now waiting on my insurance company to determine if this was a defect in the repair. I think Honda needs to take ownership as this has to be a common problem with these model Accords. I find it hard to believe that this is now the second quarter panel and has cracked in the same spot again. Seems like a defect and a recall needed from Honda.

• add your response

I was in an accident on Nov 4, 2014. While I was pulling into a parking space with my foot on the brake, my 2009 Honda Fit Sport suddenly accelerated with the RPM gauge pegged to the top. I hit the handicap pole after the car jumped the parking space curb and the engine was still revving high after impact. I had to turn off the car to stop the engine. Damage to car: bumper, edge of hood, airbags and seatbelt pulled completely away from side of car paneling. I was injured as well and had to seek medical attention. I contacted West Hills Honda in Bremerton, WA and Mike the Service Manager refused to accept any responsibility and advised me to contact Honda America in Torrance, CA. I spoke with Honda's claim rep Jennifer ** and she arranged for a field rep Robert from Honda to meet us at West Hills Honda.

Of course, they could find nothing wrong except for some engine codes P01701 and P0400, which Honda says was due to the accident (engine did not appear to be damaged after accident). As I was leaving the dealership an Employee had heard the conversation I was having w/ the service manager and said, "Just so you're aware I have driven a few Honda Fits on the lot and have had the same acceleration issue and almost hit a wall." Also, was told by West Hills Honda that the tire pressure code/light was on although all four tires had the right amount of air. He stated it could be an electrical issue. Hmmm maybe the ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CABLE was affected by this "electrical issue"? You think??????

• add your response

Within the first month of having my black 2014 Pilot, there were white brush like scratches by my passenger front wheel panel. I thought someone with a white SUV must have hit my new car and was very upset. Then a few months later, I noticed more on the same side in front of the tire but higher up. Now a couple days ago as I am drying off my pilot, I see more above the light and on the side. I googled to see if others are having paint problems, and they are! I can't believe having a car for less than a year and am continually having issues with the paint. This is just the start.

Within 24 hours of purchasing my pilot, the tire sensor light came on. The dealership changed all 4 tires to make sure it wasn't a tire issue. Well, more than once a month, the tire sensor light comes on and I have to embarrassingly take my new SUV to put air in the tire. The other day it had 3 of the tire sensors on. When I started driving it then 2 of the 3 went off. In addition to this, my driver’s side window makes a loud noise when I roll it down. And just when you wouldn't think there was anything else that can happen to a new car, the rubber flap that is part of the cup holder is already cracked.

I took my Pilot into the dealership today. I was blamed for hitting other cars while driving or it was that my car could've been dusty and someone rubbed up against it 3 different times and scratched the paint. I make sure to park my car at the edge of parking lots near nobody! I can't believe I was being blamed for this problem. They brought the paint specialist over and he said it is not Honda's paint, even when he pointed out where it was never painted in 2 spots in the crease of the front panel and the one above it. There was still white wrapping stuff in there. Then he said that maybe it was a car wash I was taking it to. I am so angry!! This is just not right!

Oh and there are two or 3 chips in the front passenger side door center where the strip is. They said those are from door dings or shopping carts. I said there is no way as I never park next to any cars. Again they are saying that I crashed my vehicle 3 times in less than a year, and that 3 different people have hit my door in less than a year. Wow! I am so disappointed. So now I have to wait until Tuesday when their Honda Rep is at their dealership. And she supposedly doesn't have paint experience. But to give them credit, they put air in my tire that continuously leaks out, will replace the tearing cup holder, grease my window, and will set my tire sensor at a higher psi so it won't go off supposedly. My family has had Honda's and Acura's for years and never a problem like this. Then I was told by the paint specialist that if I didn't like my Pilot they buy them all the time. I just laughed at him.

• add your response

My Honda Pilots pedal was stuck twice in two weeks. This occurred today 10/10/14. The key was removed from the ignition but the car was still on. When I removed the key from the ignition the car remained running. This happened today and yesterday. I reinserted the key to turn the car off and the car accelerated. Luckily, the car was in park. This happened again on 8/23/14. My son was driving and the pedal got stuck. My son quickly put the car in neutral and the car idled down. This was very scary. The car remained accelerated for about a half of block. This could have resulted in a fatal accident.

• add your response

34,000 KM and I need new rear brakes and told by dealership and Honda Canada no warranty. Googled brake problems and I found that rear brakes is a common Honda problem. I have owned 5 Hondas. This is the last one.

• add your response

My new 2014 Honda Pilot was in park. The key was turned off and it immediately started to roll backwards, threw me to the ground and continued to roll down my driveway, hit a tree -- $8,000.00 + repairs. I called Honda Corp and reported this because I know there was a failure of some sort with the car. They rejected my report and also quite nasty about my concerns. I am going to pursue this further but working on a plan. I feel they were irresponsible and dismissive of what could be a very significant issue. If anyone has had this same problem would like to know.

• add your response

I have 2 cars - A 2014 Honda Pilot and a 2010 Subaru. The Subaru links up fine with my cell phone. I just leave it in there on the charger and it picks it up without any problem and work flawlessly. Honda Big Tough Nice car but damn, you would think they could get a better linkup system than they're using...

• add your response

There is an ignition switch recall - Same make, Same model, Same year as my Honda Civic, but they will not repair my ignition switch because my VIN doesn't match the recalled VINs, even though they have the diagnostic from the Honda tech saying that it IS, in fact, faulty and needs to be changed to avoid further DYING in the middle of a busy intersection or interstate! When I contacted American Honda, they told me that it was just "Coincidental" and even DENIED that that was the case until I had PAPERS showing that it was from their very own technicians! Jerks.

• add your response

I dissatisfied with my Honda Pilot Touring 2014 with the gas mileage and my Rear camera. Honda said this car do 18 up 24 miles per gls. My Honda Pilot I put 17gls of gas - it give 207.9 mileage. It's less than 12.5 miles per gls, coming from PA to NY 1 hour and 30 minutes it took more than a quarter tank. The rear camera is very blur. At night you cannot see anything - too blur.

• add your response

I sold my 2008 Accord, brake and engine issues with no response from HONDA. Also the well known 2006 Civic with all of its problems. God this car was a disaster and I ended up on the losing of that deal... I'm so angry with Honda that I sold both cars, my VTX 1200 motorcycle and my 3500psi pressure washer. I'll never purchase another HONDA product... Terrible customer service and they no longer back their products... This is one time you don't get what you pay for!

Honda Company Profile