Caterpillar

73%
    show rating distribution
Compare Auto Manufacturers

Research top Auto Manufacturers recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Tell us about your experience with Caterpillar:

Record a review about your experience with Caterpillar:

Login to record a Video Review

Consumer Complaints & Reviews

I'm a small towing company and my 2004 Ford F650 with a C7 Cat engine is a money pit. We were having problems with it running rough and white smoke. Took it to shop and replaced injectors cost over $6000.00 dollars and it didn't even fix it. Still has white smoke and now the dealer said it needs a new engine. I was also told it was the fuel pump. I call BS. There is no metal in the filter. If it needed a engine the truck would not run at all. They are talking 25,0000 to replace engine and injectors again. I bought a Caterpillar diesel so I wouldn't have this problem at 117,000. Would love to sue over this ** engine that Cat sold.

In April we purchased from North Trails RV a 2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE (per purchase contract) with 33,392 miles on it. It has a 2006 CATERPILLAR C9 Engine. We drove it home from Fort Myers, Florida on April 12 after spending the weekend in Fort Myers. It drove fine at first but we noticed on the way home it was idling rough at low speeds and black smoke was coming out of the exhaust. We called North Trail and they suspected it may be bad gas or a clogged fuel filter. They claimed they changed the fuel filter on 3-28-15 but sent us 2 new filters. We changed the filter and put BIO KLEEN SHOCK in the fuel but it did not help.

My husband, **, then called his cousin (Retired Diesel Mechanic Instructor for Detroit Diesel) to come over and look at the engine. He looked at it in May and he suspected either a bad fuel injector or an electrical problem. He wasn't familiar with the HEUI Pump because the CAT engines he worked on did not have them. He recommended that we take the motor coach to Michigan CAT in Shelby Twp., MI and to run a diagnostic test on it. They ran a cylinder cutout test and determined cylinder #3 was dead. They also performed a HEUI Step up test and found it was sticking at low pressure. No repair was made to HEUI pump even though it was determined there was a problem. We picked up the coach on June 3, 2015 and left on trip to Hilton Head, SC on June 4th. We stopped for the night near Columbus, OH on Thursday night and continued on the trip Friday AM. The motor coach appeared to be running fine.

We were about 10 miles outside of Charleston, WV on a very hilly, curvy section of interstate I64 approaching exit 50 when a siren went off. Within 30 seconds all 28 gallons of oil pumped out of our coach and the engine shut down. ** was able to pull it partially on the narrow shoulder. We called AAA and 911. The police came and had a wrecker dispatched to the scene and towed it to Heritage International Trucks. They thought the oil was coming out of the hole where the HEUI diagnostic test was run. They ran a scope and saw the bolt was missing but the cavity was not stripped. They thought that maybe the HEUI Pump could be rebuilt and recommended we take the coach to Walker CAT in Belle, WV. We had it towed to Walker on 6-6 and they were able to look at Tuesday. They said metal particles were coming out of the HEUI Pump. They said all injectors needed to be replaced as well as the HEUI Pump.

The Walker CAT mechanic said that if they had tested the pump and it read it was sticking at low pressure they would have replaced it and all the injectors. That is standard operating procedure. I called MI CAT and spoke to ** on Friday. He denied any responsibility. I believe the bolt on the HEUI Pump was not tightened properly by Michigan CAT or the HEUI Pump was defective. We are seeking compensation for the repairs made by MI and Walker CAT as well as our rental car, meals, towing and hotel charges because this problem should have been caught by Michigan CAT and many 2006 CAT HEUI pumps have been recalled. It has been talked about on numerous forums. A free warranty and some money knocked off the labor is not enough for all the hardship and cost we incurred. Please advise what you intend to do to remedy the situation.

(After we picked up the Motor Coach from Walter CAT we broke down again 20 miles away from the dealership. We were losing oil and blowing out blue smoke. The supervisor and mechanic came on to site we pulled over at and found that it had a shredded O ring. Apparently the mechanic who worked on it forgot to put a new one on it when he made the repair because the O ring was black not yellow. Another 4 hours of sitting on the side of the road!)

After my retirement In Sept of 2013 we purchased a very nice 08 Country Coach. The first big trip we had in 2014 was around 3,300 miles. We lost the air conditioner pump. Tore the serpentine belt. Ruined our trip with a $2500 dollar bill between towing and new pump. Had issues of hot exhaust and DPF issues but went away after reaching 55mph. Mentioned this to the dealer where we purchased but they could not find an issue. This year after pulling out of storage everything seemed fine so we loaded up and started off. Right away we had a DPF issue loss power could not do a manual regen. Now setting at Midway with a bad turbo, service guy said we had a stuck "gate" valve in the turbo and had to replace. Of course Cat no longer makes this one nor can it be rebuilt.

Midway would only replace with original Cat parts so here we go again around $15K in parts and 5K in labor that is now not sure what will happen as of yet after they put new style turbo on what they will find. It sounds like this turbo could of had a rust issue in the gate that opens and closes "mind you I know nothing about diesels but I am learning fast." I thought Cat was a high class outfit. What I have found was a high priced outfit. I would like to be on this lawsuit. So far I have not lost as much as some of you on this site but this is my retirement and it goes deep.

I have a Fleetwood Revolution Motorhome with a Caterpillar C9 Diesel Engine with 34,000 miles. In return from a trip to Florida, I had a check engine light, and power down. In checking the coolant level, I was 3 gallons low with no visible leaks. I drove it to a large Caterpillar service center. It sat for a week and then had Hydrolock. It was determined 4 injector cups failed. After repair, they ran it for 3 hours and had back pressure in the coolant tank. After removing the head, they found the Head Gasket failed. The suspect, the Head was not torqued down properly. Since the head had never been removed since new, I suspect it is a manufacturing problem, when they built the engine. Has anyone had this problem! I am glad I bought an extended warranty, as the bill is over $14,000.

I have a 320 D not quite due for service and I have full warranty and package and need to go back to work to stoke fires and I can't start digger because oil too low. It has burnt a lot of oil since new and cat can't get oil to me. Virtually said nothing they can do till Monday. $300,000 dollars and no backup. Lost time and disgruntled clients. Wouldn't usually care but dairy farm I'm working around clock, not good or in small community. Why pay for crap warranty. I have a CAT DIGGER and a SUMITOMO. And best digger around I am (All About Civil). You’re telling me 9 liters of oil I have to add every time before service is ok. Sumitomo doesn't use any oil and it's nearly 11,000 hrs. CAT 3500 HRS.

Truck's reliability is very poor. We have three 2013 with the highest mileage of 88k. They have been in for service more than on the road. We were promised the highest quality equipment and service but have never had this experience.

Months and months of aggravation!! Lots of money spent on regen issues! Can someone please send me info on the lawsuit against cat? This is BS! We all do not make the money nowadays like we use to. These c-13 engines with the dpf filters are junk! I have an 08 international prostar. 500,000 miles and nothing but problem after problem!! Can someone help?? Thank you in advance.

C7 in ford f650 2008 - Motors junk after 32000 miles. They won't warranty. I want sue. Who I contact anyone knows.

Well I guess after seeing this website, I'm not the only one having a lot of problems with what Caterpillar is calling an engine. Multiple repairs for same regeneration issues along with lots of downtime and tow bills. Any way to recoup lost money?

I have an 08 PB with the c-15 ACERT that has all but taken me completely out of the business. After replacing the regen system for the second time ($4,000) and having injectors fail one after the other, the truck has always had a miss and low manifold pressure. According to CAT, it was running fine, they could not find anything. Their little computer said all is good and sent me on my way. 3 days later I'm back at CAT, the miss is worse. They said I have a "questionable injector" so they replaced #3 injector and said all was good. On the way to the yard, it was running the same. So I went back. They kept the truck 2 days and said # 6 injector was weak and replaced that. Now I they have got me for $3,600 and the truck is back the following day as that made no difference. So 4 trips in one week to CAT and still no result. "It is in great shape," they said. They could not or would not admit there was a miss.

I drove the truck and continued to work. The miss began to feel normal even the power was not noticeably different. Months later, the miss began to get worse and then it would go away for a day. This time I took it to Peterbilt. Now 2 more injectors are questionable #1, #3. They replaced them, a harness, fuel pressure regulator and again no change. 5 trips to Peterbilt and another $4,000 and no change! Week later I'm back at Rush Peterbilt with the same issue I paid $4,100 and change and I want my truck fixed. They put it on the dyno this time. Now they tell me it has blow over high crankcase pressure and needs an overhaul. It was completely rebuilt in July 2013 that cost $31,000 and has only 50,000 in state miles since. This motor is a real piece of work. And I to want to join the class action lawsuit.

2006- 2007 c15 accert - I had two motors blowup due to faulty scraper rings. One engine had 330,000 miles, another engine had 380,000 miles and another one has 400,000. All Caterpillar wants to do is give excuses. Mark ** from Caterpillar EXCUSES! LIAR THAT'S HIM!!!!

I have owned 2 units which were purchased new. Nothing but problem with sensors (which are overloaded with) amu valves and no start when cold. I'm on my 3rd engine in one of the units - average lifespan is 135k miles.

Mechanic said that there was an oil leak that plugged the radiator. Motor begin to heat when engine light came on, we took to mechanic. He say this motor has several problems such as the pistons, head gasket. The mechanic is unhappy because we cannot get the extended warranty to cover the repairs. He cannot continue until they give him authorization.

CAT c7 engine - I need help! I just replaced 3 injectors that were bad, replaced fuel pump and bought new computer from Caterpillar. Truck runs good with the exception of idle is a little rough and boils white smoke. I was thinking that there could possibly be another injector bad, but I have great power and no missing out when running at full speed. Very weird! Has anyone had this experience?

2009 Ford with cat engine - This truck has been in the shop probably 20 times for the engine screw-ups, getting tired of paying for cats screw ups.

I am extremely disgusted with the constant repairs that I have to pay for out of my own pocket due to others ignorance! Turbos, Re-gen, sensors, etc. When does this insanity stop? How do I got included in the class act lawsuit against CAT? I am currently praying and nursing my truck home from CA to WA with the problem occurring again!!! Can someone please help me get in touch with the class action group ASAP? Thank you.

I spec'ed an 08 F-750 dump truck for my landscaping business and decided to upgrade to the C7s engine. I had been in the trucking business enough years to know how good Cat engines used to be. I started having ARD head problems at 31,000 miles and then again about a year later. Still under warranty. Then I had another ARD issue just after the warranty ran out. Now, I'm having fuel injector issues (1 bad but they replaced all 6) and transfer pump issues so they replaced that because I have complained about it being hard cranking. I've been told there is metal in the engine. This engine is using a 10 micron fuel filter so it seems to starve for fuel but anything more wrecks the ARD head. Like most others on here, I spent a lot of extra money on the Cat engine and now I'm spending myself into the poor house keeping it running. The bad thing is that I probably can't trade for another truck because of the bad history this engine has and I'm scared to run it for fear of it shutting down.

Have been having problems with C-15 heads, some not making 12 hours of use and having cracks severe enough to hydro lock engine. Injector cups leaking 4 at a time after 7 months. No quality. Where are the days head replacement was not redone for 3 to 5 years. Now if you lucky it may last at year. What's going on because the pricing is at premium for low quality part.

Cat c-15 & regen system - I bought my W900L new in 2008. Since then and after warranty's ran out, I have replaced the turbos 3 times, oil cooler, water cooler, water pump, rebuilt regen system 3 times, replace injector #5 three times and injector #6 eight times. In the last two weeks I have dropped another 4,000 on the regen system and I am now at a kw show with still the same problem, dpf filter... Yes I want to be a part of a class action lawsuit also!!

In 2010, I purchased a 2009 new freightliner classic with a c-15 acert engine from First Truck in Edmonton ab. The truck ran ok for two years with the exception of both turbos blowing about once a year which I know now is an overpressuring issue these engines have, noticed as well in repeated air compressor failures. This truck was brought to the dealership, it was purchased at every third week for an expensive oil change and complete inspection, "all documented".

Beginning year three the unit gave a dirty oil sample, this was questioned but disregarded by mechanics as an oversensitive sample machine. Truck then blew both turbos, this was covered under warranty and diagnosed as the culprit for oil sample. Three days later truck began to smoke considerably, brought unit back in and told engine was dusted due to a faulty CGI pipe which was a freightliner part not covered by Cat engine or exhaust warranty. The pipe had a hole and had taken in dirt which first caused turbo failure and the engine failure.

$40000 on my dime and two months down time due to a strike at cat and I was running again, personal expense to me was $100000 with down time and repair. OK much smarter now, I put extended warranty on the engine, began replacing CGI pipe every 7 months and fabricated a shield for the CGI pipe as Freightliner advised if I attempted to relocate pipe to a better place warranty would be invalidated. The Unit went back to First truck every third week for the next year with specific instructions to oil sample every change and inspect all aspects of CGI pipe every service, again this is DOCUMENTED.

Almost a year to the day the truck gave a dirty oil sample, I followed this up with mechanics at Freightliner and advised I thought I was getting dirt in air system again, they advised this was not the case and all was fine. Two more turbos 8 days later and again I insisted there was something wrong, again advised all piping checked, air pressure tested and passed. Back to work. 4 days later truck began to smoke and knock.

Floated on my dime back to First truck Edmonton where it was diagnosed that I had "dusted" my engine again due to a faulty CGI pipe, cat was not covering the engine again and freightliner even though the pipe was under warranty, would not cover it because it had been rubbing against the fabricated shield they had been instructed to inspect, and on the customer report PASSED on a bi-weekly basis.

If anyone has taken the time to read this and wonder why no action had been taken legally on my part, it's because again I was on the hook for engine replacement and down time now totaling approx $240000 in two years. The only avenue I can take is to warn all possible about one or two truck operators in the province, Unless you have very significant buying power, your warranty is not worth the paper its printed on, if anyone feels this is slanderous in any way PLEASE take me to court, as legal aid will be the only way I am able to represent myself against two of the biggest players in the trucking game today.

I own a professional tree service co. Owned many trucks and equipment used in performing our services. Bought New GMC s 4 with Cat C-7 motors. All with less than 15000 mi on the trucks. The trucks were running with cylinders missing. Two cylinders were missing. It seemed to be in every motor it was the same repair. The pump was putting metal into the injectors. So we replace all 6 injectors each time at major money for parts and labor. 5000 mi later same problems appear to be starting again. At $6000.00 a shot we need help from Cat someday to keep my investments going.

My husband died on March 26, 2012. He was idling in a 2007 Peterbilt 379 equipped with a Caterpillar C13 Engine. There have been several class action lawsuits in regards to the C13 and C15 engines. It is my understanding that these engines can and do have emissions issues. Has anyone else died in these types of vehicles or become sick from carbon monoxide exposure? If so I would like to hear from you. If you have a loved one who died from cardiac arrest or heart attack these can be caused from carbon monoxide exposure.

I am so frustrated about my truck engine. It is almost one week at least of every month in the shop for one or more problems due to DPF emissions systems or something since I bought this truck in 2008. If anyone knows about it or have a lawsuit against Caterpillar engines or truck dealers for selling trucks with this type of problems, please let me know so I can join. Thanks.

R/V has 50.000 miles in those miles; 3 injectors been replaced by freight liner. The whole exhaust system been replaced because it rotted away. Radiator has been replaced clogged with engine oil. Now I have oil in my fuel replaced. O-rings still have problems. Now I'M told I have to change all injector @ 450.00 each because there is no way to test for inside injector oil leak. This is the worst engine I have ever had. Cat and Ho Penn says there is nothing they can do but fix it for a price. This is not worth it. No help from Cat.

At 32000 miles, my motorhome with a Cat C7 engine supposedly had a Heui pump problems that caused a major malfunction. Cat directed me to Alburquerque Freightliner and they repaired the problem to the tune of $4100. I drove the coach to Las Vegas, experienced the same problems and took it to the Cat dealer there. They reported that 2 of the injectors replaced at Albuquerque were bad, it was less than 300 miles. I drove the coach to Utah, where the Peterbilt dealer again repaired the same problem along with several other issues that were unnecessary.

We drove the coach 132 miles to another Utah dealer where the engine completely locked up, would not start and run. By this time, I had put an additional $12,000 in this coach and would not run. At disassembly, Cat techs found a crack on the face of the block from one side to another. They replaced the engine with a long block and a rebuilt head. I am now in San Antonio sitting in a motel for days waiting for the Cat dealer to work me into his schedule, with the same problem. The diesel mechanic that we were towed to says that 3 cylinders are dead. Needless to say, I am an unhappy customer. This scenario has cost me over $20,000 to date and the coach is still not fixed. Not to mention the motel and other costs associated here. This is a 2005 Gulfstream 40 ft. with the Cat C7 diesel engine. I am seriously suing Cat and the dealers involved, anybody want to join class action?

Purchased in 2010 and has been in shop twelve times for regeneration. Have replaced ARD head and wiring harness shorted out under the valve cover numerous times. Dealer cannot fix it. They just patch all the time costing me money. Warranty had just gone out when it happened the first time so all repairs have been out of my pocket. Towed it in last week and this trip is going to cost me $18,000.00. I would appreciate any advice from others with this problem. I need an attorney to call me. With all the trouble everyone is having, it has got to be Caterpillar's mistake.

Had purchased Kenworth T660 C13 only 2 months ago and I have had turbo problems. The latest is oil pressure build up, taking it to the dealers 6 times already and they can't figure out the problem. They have solutions but the problem is exist. I have spent taking up another loan of $19k for repairs.

We own 3 2009 ProStar with CAT C13 with around 400K miles each. It's been problem after problem after acquired, mainly DPF system. They're a real nightmare. We have invested thousands and thousands of dollars to put the trucks OTR every time but seems to be like throwing money to the trash can. Could anyone advise us on a class action lawsuit we can join? We will make whatever it takes to make Caterpillar to pay all the damages and losses caused to all of us. Please!!

I have had my 6nz Cat engine rebuilt for the 3rd time in 4 years. My last in frame I did the full platinum kit which includes a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty and I had a failure in the head last week. They came back to me and said no warranty. Well I have gone to all the extents of getting all the required testing done. It came back with the head cracked in between intake valves from heat. Well they said one overheat code and no warranty.

Really the cause of the overheat was from their defective part!!!! I'm very mad. This is the 4th engine as it has warranty and sad to say if they don't cover it under warranty they can take this engine and shove it - I'm done with Caterpillar if they don't fix it!! I'm tired of getting bent over and taken advantage of over their crappy warranty and crappy. Second of all they gave me no reason why they won't fix it. They say overheat but they won't say it's from the head being cracked that caused the engine failure and the head being cracked causes an engine to overheat!!

I have a 2004 Sterling with a C7 and it has just over 17,000 miles. I also have a 2004 Peterbilt that also has a C7 and has just over 25,000 miles. Incredibly, the Sterling would hardly run, limped it to the Cat Dealer about 1/2 mile away. The sterling only had 15k on it at the time. Cat dealer called and said it had 2 bad injectors. I told them to fix it. They later called back and told me the injectors are no longer available and I had to buy 6 of the updated injectors. I needed the truck so I had no choice but fix it. $4,600 later, it runs but not well and I was told, “Well, that's the updated injectors...” Now, I just had to have the Peterbilt towed because it has lost fuel pressure and would not run.

This time, I did not take it to Cat but I still will bleed for the parts. My diesel guy put it on scanner that lead to injector pump and injectors. After further inspection, the pump has metal shavings in it as well as the injectors. Somehow, Cat must have seen this in the crystal ball and they offered a kit with a pump, 6 new injectors, filters EC. So, I have two 2004 trucks with 40,000 miles between them out of Cat C7's and I have replaced 12 injectors between the two and a new pump and the Sterling still runs like crap. Poorly designed products should be fixed free of charge and manufacturer held accountable.

Caterpillar Company Profile